• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana possession + MIP ticket | Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

messiahoutlaw

Texas

I was driving down the street with a buddy next to me who was rolling up a blunt after I had just brought a philly at 7-11. While driving during the night, a police pulled me over. He came up to the car and ask where I was going and said my headlights were out. I did not noticed that they were off until he pulled me over. I am very sure they were on at the time. I told him that my headlights were out maybe because I had been wiring my stereo so that may have messed up my lights. He then went back to his car and then after a few minutes, he came back and told me to step outside of the car. I asked him what was the meaning of this and he didn't answer. A 2nd officer came and went to tell with my buddy. From what my buddy told me, the officer went up to him and said that "I know you have it, so give it to me." My buddy put the partially rolled blunt in the glove compartment before and gave it to the 2nd officer when the officer asked for it. I was then arrested without my rights read. The buddy, who was 17, was going to get off and was told to get someone to pick him up and told him to call someone. Then later they said he couldn't go and they arrested him too. They searched my car and found a bottle of beer in the back seat which I had no idea I even had at all. We were both charged with possession and I got a minor in possession ticket. We both spend the night in jail. We went to the hearing for our court date but were told to return on another date because police had not schedule a trial for us yet. Since we live in a small city, they had to go to the bigger city for the trial in Dallas County. The same officers that I got arrested with are the same ones who search my car 2 months before for no reason and I got a ticket for crossing the white lane. I took it court and won.

- Headlights were most likely off but they may have been on. My headlights are day time running lights so they are always on but I changed the wiring so I can turn them on and off. Will they still have video on my headlights being out?

- They have a copy of a receipt at 7-11 that I brought the philly. Will be use against me.

- The police officers said they saw marijuana on my buddy's jacket.

- Rights read?

Do I go to the hearing and ask for all the evidence that will be used against me?

When will colleges see this? I am trying to apply and fear this will mess up my whole life. I want to plead not guilty for both the possession and ticket. The possession is in Dallas and the ticket will be in the small city court.
Yes I'm 18 and understand what I've done is not good and to watch who my buddies are.
Should fight both of these? Help!

Last edited:

Your rights only have to be read if you are being questioned, not just because they put you in handcuffs. You did something wrong. You say you need to watch who your buddies are but you are the one who bought the "philly" for a minor to roll marijuana in. I think you got lucky and the officer helped you. If you want to fight them, get a laywer.

This is just MY opinions. Wait for senior members to come on and offer better advice. They might even say I am wrong.

The Occultist

Getting a lawyer is really the best advice that can be given at this time.

If you post the statute number(s) you are being charged with, perhaps some more insight might be offered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">