• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

marijuana possession and paraphernalia charge- NEED HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

labormaing

Kentucky. Ok so I am a 19 year old from Kentucky and posted a picture of some weed and 2 pipes on twitter, no person was in the pictures. Someone complained and said I had marijuana and paraphernalia to the police after seeing the pictures I posted and 2 state troopers came to my house and asked if they could search my room. I just said yes because they were standing by my mom and were standing at my bedroom door already in the house and I figured my mom had already talked to them. All they had was a picture of the pipes and some weed and a complaint from someone that saw the picture, but nothing else. They didn't find anything that was in the pictures, all they found was a home made water bong with some ash in it that they had no pictures of or any knowledge of me having. They charged me with a paraphernalia charge that had buy/sell written beside it and possession of marijuana im guessing because of the little burnt weed ash that was in the bowl. They found no pot and only took the bong as evidence. This is the first time I've ever gotten in trouble with the law and will be my first offense. I would just like some help on how to go about all of this and what are the best possible ways to fight it and have the best outcome of the situation and what is the worst thing that could happen to me? Please please please help me out I have no knowledge of what I should do or prepare for, thanks! My first court date for it is on the 15th of January btw so help before then would be super awesome.

quincy

Kentucky. Ok so I am a 19 year old from Kentucky and posted a picture of some weed and 2 pipes on twitter, no person was in the pictures. Someone complained and said I had marijuana and paraphernalia to the police after seeing the pictures I posted and 2 state troopers came to my house and asked if they could search my room. I just said yes because they were standing by my mom and were standing at my bedroom door already in the house and I figured my mom had already talked to them. All they had was a picture of the pipes and some weed and a complaint from someone that saw the picture, but nothing else. They didn't find anything that was in the pictures, all they found was a home made water bong with some ash in it that they had no pictures of or any knowledge of me having. They charged me with a paraphernalia charge that had buy/sell written beside it and possession of marijuana im guessing because of the little burnt weed ash that was in the bowl. They found no pot and only took the bong as evidence. This is the first time I've ever gotten in trouble with the law and will be my first offense. I would just like some help on how to go about all of this and what are the best possible ways to fight it and have the best outcome of the situation and what is the worst thing that could happen to me? Please please please help me out I have no knowledge of what I should do or prepare for, thanks! My first court date for it is on the 15th of January btw so help before then would be super awesome.
It sounds, on the face of it, that it could have been your mother who saw the photo of some weed and two pipes and reported you to the police, and then let the police in to the house and gave them permission to search your bedroom.

You would be smart to have an attorney. If you have not lined up an attorney before your appearance in court on the 15th, I suggest you plead "not guilty" and then have an attorney for your subsequent hearing. An attorney can work to get you the best possible outcome after s/he has had the chance to review the facts.

Being in court for the first time can be an intimidating experience so an attorney can help you feel more comfortable. If you must make your first appearance in court without an attorney by your side, however, you should dress nicely (professional attire, no blue jeans or tee shirts or baseball caps), do not smell of heavy cologne or smoke or anything objectionable, do not argue or smirk or roll your eyes, do not take your cell phone or any other electronic device into the courtroom, stand up straight, be polite and contrite, and address the judge as "Your Honor."

Good luck.

Last edited:

CJane

And if you were my child? You'd be served with eviction papers the minute I could get them drawn up.

dave33

It could reduce any liability for the mom, especially if the son has a little buying/selling operation going on in his bedroom. :)
This point could be argued all day, especially with an answer like that. I realize anything is possible, but in reality that position seems more like an administrative decision, not a parental one. Each to his own.

CJane

This point could be argued all day, especially with an answer like that. I realize anything is possible, but in reality that position seems more like an administrative decision, not a parental one. Each to his own.
This "child" is 19. If my ADULT CHILD is willing to show such disrespect for me, and for the roof I provide for him, that he would keep illegal substances in MY home? He can GTHO. If my MINOR CHILD showed such disrespect, they'd find themselves on house arrest, and have nowhere left to hide their dope in my house, because their room would be instantly converted to a monk's cell.

Dillon

if me, I would not admit its my stuff. sounds like, one of my many friends or moms many friends left it in her house. who knows it probably fell out of the officers pocket during the search?

also, I don't admit posting on facebook, how did that get there?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">