• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana Possession: Went to court -- no charges filed yet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lordzappa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

I was charged with possession < 30g exactly 1 month ago

So I went to court today at the time it said on my ticket, and my name wasn't listed outside of any of the court rooms. I went to the clerks office and she told me that the prosecutor's office hasn't filed charges against me yet.

I was told to search my name in the courthouse database until my charges had been filed. My question is, if they have already waited until after my original court date to file charges, can they still? Should I even be worried about them still filing charges?

I have confirmed that my name doesn't show up in the database. Is this sort of thing a common occurrence or do I have a chance to walk away from it?

Last edited:

justalayman

I believe they have up to 1 year to file charges so, keep checking and keep checking.

There can be many reasons they have not filed charges yet including the fact they are not going to file charges. There are other reasons where they would simply delay filing charges as well so keep checking.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">