• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana search and seizure in my home in Washington State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jsr-66

Here is my story:

I was planning to make dinner for my girlfriend and a friend of hers. They called and needed a ride home because of car trouble. I left to pick them up. I forgot to turn off a burner on the stove top. When we got home the Fire Department was here. There was no damage the smoke alarm went off, thus the firemen. They said we could not enter our home because it was not safe. The Sheriff soon arrived. After consulting with FD the Deputy asked who lived in the home. My girlfriend and I let him know we did. Then he became hostile asking us what was being cooked on the stove. I let him know that it was a frying pan with olive oil in it. On the counter next to the stove was a pill dispenser of my girlfriends prescription medication. One of those dispensers that has the daily doses sorted out for each day. The firemen thought we were cooking meth! On the table there was a container of a small amount of marijuana (2 grams at the very most) and a pipe.
The sheriff asked us for permission to look around the apartment. We granted him permission. He found empty containers that had previously contained some pot, another pipe and a container inside the freezer of pot that had been cooked down to make marijuana butter to make marijuana brownies from. They seized the frying pan with burnt olive oil on it. All that was on it was olive oil. They also searched both ladies purses. In our friends purse they found a very small amount of marijuana. They brought a drug sniffing dog in to search our vehicles. Nothing was found in the cars. The dogs did not enter the home.
While the deputy was looking around the apartment he called in our friend. He was trying to get her to tell him where the rest of the pot was. He was making comments about stupid things too. There was a tag for tickler (sex toy type) on the table. He says"Ooh, who got the tickler" She was very uncomfortable with his attitude. My gf and I have been outside for close to 2 hours in 20 degree weather at this point. They let my gf inside. The deputy showed me what he found inside. I admitted it was mine (I know, bad move).
He told me if it weighed less than 40 grams I would be charged with a misdemeanor and given a ticket, and not taken to jail. 2 minutes later he started telling me that he thought the container out of the freezer would easily give him his 40 grams for a felony and that if I told him where I got it, "this would all go away". He was playing Good Cop Bad Cop with me all on his own. I was getting nervous because I am thinking this guy is unstable. I gave him a generic name and told him where I met the guy. It was fake, but hard to prove. He told me he would be back in a week to charge me.
When they were questioning earlier, I had told them I made the butter and made brownies with it. The brownies would have easily given them the weight they needed to charge me. The untouched brownie pan, full of freshly make green brownies, was still on the counter top when they left (Keystone cops in action).
The deputy did not return my driver's license or my gf's. I called him the next day and left a message on his cell phone. He returned my call. He told me he would drop off the licenses at the station the next day (Thursday 12-10-09). I went to the station the next day. No licenses. Nobody there knew a thing about it. I gave the clerk the case number he had given me. She came back and asked to see the number again. She told me that had come up as a death. A death? I told her nobody was dead. She asked for the address. I gave it to her. She was able to find info on it that way. I tried calling him again, left several voice mails on his police cell phone no answer for several days until last night he called. He told me he searched his patrol car and could not find the licenses. He told he would check with one of the other officers. I ask when. He says not until Tuesday, a week since the incident, because the officer is in Texas!
This Deputy obviously watches a lot of TV cop shows. He was a real piece of work.
Questions:
Is he allowed to keep our ID's like that for no reason? Nobody was given a ticket of any kind.
Is he allowed to open the freezer when he is "looking around"?
I am quite certain there is not 40 grams of pot in his possession.
I can't afford an attorney.
I can't get a court appointed attorney without a charge.
I did file a complaint online at the sheriffs website.
Should I be worried? I am at this time because of the unknown.
What other options are there?
Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">