• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical cannabis patient in California - could i get wrongly accused of drug dealing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

noname112

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am a medical cannabis user in California. I am fully approved by a doctor and I have a medical card. California law states that I can legally grow up to 6 plants but I cannot possess more than 8 ounces. I plan on growing outdoors since it would be much cheaper for me as I won't have to buy any equipment such as lights etc. My worry is that I expect to yield around 1 pound per plant (17 ounces). There is also no guaranteed way of reducing the yield to anywhere near 8 ounces. Even if i grew indoors like most people, 1 plant could easily produce more than 8 ounces. If I am caught with this amount of weed (lets assume I grow 6 plants outdoors as the law allows, and each plant produces 17 ounces each), despite being a medical patient, could I get accused of intent to sell? Allowing up to 6 plants but only being allowed to possess 8 ounces seems very contradicting. Any opinions?

justalayman

this is from the states website FAQ:

Per Health and Safety Code Section 11362.77, a qualified patient or primary caregiver may possess no more than 8oz. of dried marijuana per qualified patient. In addition, a qualified patient or primary caregiver may also maintain no more than 6 mature or 12 immature marijuana plants.
8 oz PLUS no more than 6 mature or 12 immature plants.

so you smoke your 8 oz of dope and harvest enough to make another 8 oz of dried dope.

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/MMP/Pages/MMPFAQ.aspx#31

if you produce way more than you utilize, don't have so many plants.

xylene

Discretion is your friend in this endeavor.

No one, or as few people as possible should know about your grow.

That is good personal safety as well as avoiding legal wrangling

Last edited:

noname112

Thanks for your replies. I understand I can have 8 oz plus the 6 plants, the problem is that if i were to grow outdoors just 1 plant on its own will produce 17 oz. I know I could get rid of the rest but what would happen if police found the fully grown plant before it had been harvested?

cheers

FlyingRon

Not only can you be wrongfully accused, you can be rightfully accused, you can even be guilty of the accusation.

RRevak

Growing outdoors almost always yields less than controlled indoors so are you sure your 1 plant will actually yield 8-17oz? If it does, why not keep it cut back so the yield stays smaller? If you want to stay within the confines of the law then you'll either need to adapt your growing to produce less, or stop producing.

CdwJava

You may also want to check with the city or county where you live to see what local regulations might exist. Your grow may not be permitted where you reside.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">