• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical marijuana paraphanilia seziure on school campus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Calistudent

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

Situation
I'm going to a Public university and live on campus. I am a medical marijuana patient but was in possession of no marijuana. The fire alarm in my on-campus apartment goes off when a room mate sets the fire alarm off by burning some food. The on campus police come to our house and let himself into the house then talks to two of my room mates and discovers the cause of alarm and that there is no emergency. The officer then decides to wander around our house and he see's the door to my room cracked. Nothing illegal is visible from outside the room. He then enters my room while I am inside the bathroom. Once inside my room he sees my bong and calls for backup.
Once I hear someone in my room I exit the bathroom and begin getting questioned.
I tell the officer that I am a medical patent, I have no pot on campus, and that the bong was only on campus to be cleaned. This stops the cops from giving me a ticket.
The officers decide to call a Residential Life Coordinator to take my bong. I am told that I will be put on housing probation and that my bong will be destroyed.

Questions
Are the police allowed to enter my room under this situation?
Are the RLC's allowed to seize and destroy my bong? It was an expensive investment that California says I can legally possess.

I have always followed state laws about having my medical card with me and where I can smoke.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

Situation
Im going to a Public university and live on campus. I am a medical marijuana patent but was in posestion of no marijuana. The fire alarm in my on-campus appartment goes off when a room mate sets the fire alarm off by burning some food. The on campus police come to our house and let himself into the house then talks to two of my room mates and discovers the cause of alarm and that there is no emergency. The officer then decides to wander around our house and he see's the door to my room cracked. Nothing illegal is visible from outside the room. He then enters my room while I am inside the bathroom. Once inside my room he sees my bong and calls for backup.
Once I hear someone in my room I exit the bathroom and begin getting questioned.
I tell the officer that I am a medical patent, I dont smoke on campus, and that the bong was only on campus to be cleaned.
The officers decide to call a Residential Life Coordinator to take my bong. I am told that I will be put on housing probation and that my bong will be destroyed.

Questions
Are the police allowed to enter my room under this situation?
Are the RLC's allowed to seize and destroy my bong? It was an expensive investment that California says I can legally possess.

I have always followed state laws about having my medical card with me and where I can smoke.
**A: either you failed spelling classes or you are so stoned you can't spell correctly. Which is it?

Calistudent

I'm not stoned. I get good grades, but I am bad at spelling. I have now fixed my 2 spelling errors.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Calistudent

Can you not bother me about the few spelling issues. This section is about legal advice which would be very helpful to me.

HomeGuru here is a link for you. It talks about how people can recognize a word by its shape and the starting and ending letters. Its true that you don't have to spell a word correctly to identify what is being said.
The Science of Word Recognition

There is also more information about that somewhere, but I don't care enough to find the article I've read.

HomeGuru

Can you not bother me about the few spelling issues. This section is about legal advice which would be very helpful to me.

HomeGuru here is a link for you. It talks about how people can recognize a word by its shape and the starting and ending letters. Its true that you don't have to spell a word correctly to identify what is being said.
The Science of Word Recognition

There is also more information about that somewhere, but I don't care enough to find the article I've read.
**A: since you are good at research how about reading the federal laws on the subject which is in conflict with CA state law with respect to medical pot.

Last edited:

Calistudent

You have created a spelling error.

I have researched what you say and I found that as long as I am in compliance of state laws federal actions cannot be taken.

I need advice regarding weather the school is allowed to keep my property.

HomeGuru I do not want to quarrel. I am sorry if my spelling has offended you.

HomeGuru

You have created a spelling error.

I have researched what you say and I found that as long as I am in compliance of state laws federal actions cannot be taken.

I need advice regarding weather the school is allowed to keep my property.

HomeGuru I do not want to quarrel. I am sorry if my spelling has offended you.
**A: yes, the school is allowed to keep your property since the property is not on the schools approved list of bongs. Just because you have allowance for med pot does not give you blanket approval to disreguard the school's policies and procedures.

Calistudent

Thank you for that piece of information.

Can I ask you if the officer was allowed to enter my room knowing there was no emergency? (I would like to know for future reference)

HomeGuru

Thank you for that piece of information.

Can I ask you if the officer was allowed to enter my room knowing there was no emergency? (I would like to know for future reference)
**A: most likely, but then again I do not have the school policy manual.

Last edited:

Calistudent

this is what the schools policy manual has to say regarding entering a students house.

" University shall have the right to enter the premises occupied by Licensee for the purposes of emergency, health, safety, maintenance,
management of applicable rules and regulations, or for any other lawful purpose. University shall exercise these rights reasonably with
respect for Licensee’s right to be free from unreasonable searches and intrusions into study or privacy"

HomeGuru

this is what the schools policy manual has to say regarding entering a students house.

" University shall have the right to enter the premises occupied by Licensee for the purposes of emergency, health, safety, maintenance,
management of applicable rules and regulations, or for any other lawful purpose. University shall exercise these rights reasonably with
respect for Licensee’s right to be free from unreasonable searches and intrusions into study or privacy"
**A: you answered your own question.

Calistudent

If I did answer the question then I would guess the answer is no, the police man is not allowed to enter the house.

So what would I do to get it back?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">