• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michigan Marijuana Possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kblackb2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hey guys,
So two days ago, a friend of mine was pulled over for a "fix it" ticket in Michigan. Basically, her headlight was out and the cops pulled her over to issue a warning. Long story short, cops smelled marijuana in her car and searched it. They found less than a 1/4 ounce, a grinder and a glass pipe. The cops were nice, and instead of arresting her, she was given a warning and a ticket for $500. Yesterday, she got a call that a court date had been scheduled. What can she expect? What would the ticket be for? Should she get a lawyer? How will this affect her criminal record.

I'm currently pre-law but haven't been able to find any information to my satisfaction. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

kblackb2

From what I can decipher, I believe she got a drivers responsibility ticket since she was in possession in her vehicle. However, it could be a possession charge. So if you could answer on either account, I would greatly appreciate it :)

sandyclaus

Who called her to tell her that she requires an appearance before the court?

Perhaps your friend needs to call the court herself to find out the reason for the scheduled appearance. She can find out what charges may have been filed against her, if any. Once she does that, we can answer the question further.

DTOM

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hey guys,
So two days ago, a friend of mine was pulled over for a "fix it" ticket in Michigan. Basically, her headlight was out and the cops pulled her over to issue a warning. Long story short, cops smelled marijuana in her car and searched it. They found less than a 1/4 ounce, a grinder and a glass pipe. The cops were nice, and instead of arresting her, she was given a warning and a ticket for $500. Yesterday, she got a call that a court date had been scheduled. What can she expect? What would the ticket be for? Should she get a lawyer? How will this affect her criminal record.

I'm currently pre-law but haven't been able to find any information to my satisfaction. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
It should say on the ticket what it is for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">