• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor/First time marijuana paraphoneila charge in PA.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Whaat9999

There was a domestic dispute at my residence today. One person was arrested and narked on me for having a hooka in the house. The police officers took it and asked repeatively where my other things were. I honestly had nothing else and I informed them of such.

They couldn't find what wasn't there and they left when the situation cleared. I did not commit any crimes for the officers to come in the first place - it was a completely different situation, and they wouldn't have looked for anything else, had the other person kept his mouth shut.

The police officers said they would call me regarding the situation, in which I thanked them, and wished them a safe day.

I just turned eighteen, and I have not had any charges like this.

What am I really facing here?

Thanks!

FlyingRon

A "hookah" is a traditional water pipe. It can be used for marajuana, but it's also traditionally used for tobacco (of which there is a great increase of use in this country especially around the population of eastern mediterranean descent).

It would depend if there is residue of having been used for tobacco or controlled substances.

Having a domestic dispute significant enough for the police to be called is sufficient cause for them to enter and noticing it in plain site is valid. It matters not if they were there because of someone else's disturbance, they can charge you.

The charge for paraphernalia in PA is 12 months/$2500. ARD is a possibility, but I'd sit quiet until they decide to charge you. I would decline to converse with them without a lawyer however.

Whaat9999

Do you really think that they would charge me? They didn't charge me then, they just said they call me.

And for the record, couldn't it not be mine?

dave33

Criminal charges is very possible. Im not sure of pa law regarding the pipe, but quite possibly the pipe itself is not illegal. The police took it and will send it to their lab for analysis.If there is residue of an illegal substance than you will be infomed of there intent to move forward with criminal charges (maybe,you can still hope).Just from the snitches statement alone, was not enough to warrant a search.Was it in plain sight?Did you willfully turn it over when questioned?Whose name is the residence in?All are valid questions for a qualified (private) attorney. A conviction at your age of such an insignificant violation would be a shame. Possibly effecting your future in more ways than one. Do not hesitate to pay a lawyer if you have the means. goodluck

Whaat9999

I was told that they were already given permission to search the house. The snitch's name was on the lease. They may have handled me, I dunno. I was tired and stressed, and concerned about a situation completely different from any of this (which is why I'm so frustrated).

I gave it up, because even though it was stashed, if they found it after me lying to them, I'da been screwed.

In retrospect, I should have cleaned it.

Why would they go through so much trouble for something so simple and irrelevant?

Should I contact a lawyer before they contact me if they do?

What are the possibilities of them not contacting me?

Thanks.

dave33

alright, seems like they got the pipe legally,or close enough.Keep in mind just because you were told something,especially by police doesnt make it true.Anyway, when they get the positive results back,and if they decide to press criminal charges a phone call would surprise me.More than likely they will put out a warrant for your arrest and arrest you when you are unprepared. They will be hoping to catch you again or make you vulnerable enough to cooperate and incriminate yourself. Always keep in mind, in my opinion police for the most part are not honorable and will lie and threaten you to make their job easier. As ridiculous as it seems they will without hesitation break 10 laws to convict you of breaking one.why you ask? thats what they do. To protect and serve is a thing of the past. To cooperate in any way,or make any statement is a mistake (as im sure you figured out already). They are very tricky and manipulative, any weakness you will be exploited. Since you clearly are at a disadvantage your best bet, GET A LAWYER. Learn from your experience, keep posting ill check on you let me know if you have any more questions.goodluck

Whaat9999

I appreciate the help.

Would they really put a warrant out on me for something this small?

And catch me again doing what?

Thanks.

Last edited:

dave33

would they? absolutely. Depending on the statute,how your states law is written,very possible that the pipe with residue would be illegal paraphernalia and the residue would be a controlled substance. Dont get alarmed, im not sure about your state. But let me explain they know your young and maybe lets say legally nieve, perhaps scared. So ther next step would be to put out a warrant,and have 2 morally corrupt detectives pull you over. Slap the cuffs on and than they say (very believably) that there gonna lock you up. There gonna do this and that,most likely things they have learned you would consider to be devastating. Unless you want to help yourself,and tell them whos selling and where. If they find a joint in your pocket, than they will makr you think its the end of the world. The will use anything they can including illegal tacticts to further their career regardless of what they do to anybody in the meantime. Make no mistake, this kind of thing happens every day,and is even becoming common police practice. Make a resolution to ask for a lawyer, this will really piss them off.No matter what, if what they say scares you so bad you wanna puke.no comment.LAWYER.

Whaat9999

I've only been in the area for four weeks. I don't know any dealers.

I don't have a lawyer. Should I contact one? Could I deny the item as being mine?

If I get arrested how long would it take to get a lawyer?

dave33

the above is worst case.maybe they are decent guys and said "hes an o.k. kid and got rid of the pipe.no way to tell. maybe it all just goes away. just prepare yourself,and be strong. oh yea, if the cops ever come to your house and take evidence against you, dont wish them a good day.

Whaat9999

Well, I figured wishing them a safe day would have increased the chances of them declaring me as a "good kid" and ridding of the item.

Other than the fact that you don't want to wish someone well after they've screwed you, what's wrong with that?

Thanks, dude.

dave33

the fact is, is that they are there to make your life more difficult one way or the other. You never want to bow down to them,because their initial thought will be that your kindness is weakness. Your decency is genuine, when thers has motives which will not benefit you.If worse case comes to bear fruit, and you get charged, get a criminal record of a drug charge, which will get you searched during any police contact,even a traffic stop and put on probation fined and have to explain this conviction to any future employeer. How will you feel abouy wishing them a good day then.I didnt mean dont wish them a good day for any legal strategy, I say this because they are there to wrong you and showing them decency will beregretful. Puff out your chest and let it be known you can stand on your own 2 feet. I would like to word this a lot stronger,but on this forum im trying to be somewhat politically correct. Also in my opinion, because of the non-severe nature of this crime,i would probably wait until i was charged before i retained a lawyer, unless of course you are independantly wealthy.That shouldnt stop you from consulting one.

Whaat9999

I gotcha.
Well thanks, dude.
I'll see how it goes.

How should I have handled the situation differently, though?
I have a couple of friends telling me that denying a search is enough reason for arrest. One of them had a lawyer tell him it was a new law. I was worried if I denied a search, it would have ended up worse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">