• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor in Possesion of alcohol and other substances, please advise!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raymanrockz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I recently was pulled over by a police officer on my way back to school from the local taco shop where my friends and I occasionally get food from. The officer waited until I parked in the school parking lot to talk to us, and after discovering that we were not allowed to go off campus during lunch, he searched us, then asked to search my car, which I stupidly said ok to, and found an open bottle of alcohol, a hookah, two cigars, and around 3 grams of marijuana. The officer then wrote me a citation for daytime loitering, underage possesion of tobbacco, underage possesion of alcohol, and underage possesion of marijuana. I would not be so concerned, but I have a prior record. When I was 12 years old I had just moved to California from Chicago and got mixed in with the wrong crowd, and broke in to an apartment and robbed it. I am wondering what kind of sentencing I can expect in regards to this issue and what steps I can take to lessen it. I have recently completed a drug education program and 10 hours of community service and attended will attend 5 hours of AA/NA meetings before my court date. The main thing I am concerned about is whether these will remain on my permanent record even after I have turned 18, please advise!

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I recently was pulled over by a police officer on my way back to school from the local taco shop where my friends and I occasionally get food from. The officer waited until I parked in the school parking lot to talk to us, and after discovering that we were not allowed to go off campus during lunch, he searched us, then asked to search my car, which I stupidly said ok to, and found an open bottle of alcohol, a hookah, two cigars, and around 3 grams of marijuana. The officer then wrote me a citation for daytime loitering, underage possesion of tobbacco, underage possesion of alcohol, and underage possesion of marijuana. I would not be so concerned, but I have a prior record. When I was 12 years old I had just moved to California from Chicago and got mixed in with the wrong crowd, and broke in to an apartment and robbed it. I am wondering what kind of sentencing I can expect in regards to this issue and what steps I can take to lessen it. I have recently completed a drug education program and 10 hours of community service and attended will attend 5 hours of AA/NA meetings before my court date. The main thing I am concerned about is whether these will remain on my permanent record even after I have turned 18, please advise!
I don't think you've been hanging around with the wrong crowd... I think you are part of the wrong crowd. How old are you now?

raymanrockz

I will not fight that, I have made a lot of poor choices and am not using my friends as scapegoats, but when I was 12 I do believe it was because of the people I were around, who were much older than me. I am 16 years old almost 17.

raymanrockz

And for future posts, please I get it from all angles now, I am looking for LEGAL advice, not LIFE advice, I'm working on that myself.

Omni-Pontent

And for future posts, please I get it from all angles now, I am looking for LEGAL advice, not LIFE advice, I'm working on that myself.
You did not come to the right place to find "legal" advice. If you want to be judged and condemned for your actions..... this is definitely the right place. This forum is full of perfect elitist whom have never done wrong in their life.

Best thing for you to do is to find a good attorney. Part of what you pay him/her to do is to keep personal feelings out of it. Here the advice is "free", and you get what you pay for.

outonbail

You did not come to the right place to find "legal" advice. If you want to be judged and condemned for your actions..... this is definitely the right place.
The judged and condemned as you have labeled it, is most often the bare bones truth concerning a post in which the person posting tries to downplay their actions as being no big deal. Or they are blaming someone else for their actions, just like this poster is doing by telling us he robbed a house because his friends were doing it. I can assure you that when a judge hears this from a defendant, he/she will be less impressed with such nonsense than we are.

So, is it not better for someone to hear the truth from us and discover what reaction they will receive to their "no big deal, it was because of so and so" excuse?

If you refuse to learn anything from the comments and opinions posted, fine, let the judge teach you to take responsibility for your actions with a hefty fine. Personally I find it smarter to learn this for free and prior to giving some unacceptable excuse to a judge.
This forum is full of perfect elitist whom have never done wrong in their life.
Yes and most of them are here for advice on how they can get a judge to believe this.

Best thing for you to do is to find a good attorney. Part of what you pay him/her to do is to keep personal feelings out of it. Here the advice is "free", and you get what you pay for.
Actually, a person does not always get what they pay for. You have heard the saying, "You can lead a horse to water,,,,"
The water doesn't have to cost money to quench a thirst, it has to be absorbed. Some can only absorb information when their wallets are open.

An attorney may not tell his/her client they are an idiot, but you can be damn sure they are thinking it.

But idiots keep them in business so it is better for them if the common idiot never learns that they are the cause of their own problems.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">