• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor in possession of alcohol - need to take alcohol class

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

td89

I was charged with a minor in possession of alcohol in Maryland, but I am a Virginia resident. I went to the district court in Howard County, Maryland, and was given 12 hours of community service and 12 hours of an alcohol class.

My question is this, it seems the judge said that if I take the class in the state I am a resident of (virginia) I may be able to later get the MIP of Alcohol charge expunged. Here are my questions:

1. Is the above true?
2. If yes, I should take the class in Virginia. Is there a site where I can see a list of places that offer the classes?
3. Also, I will be a resident of Missouri (where my university is) by next August. I have to get this class done in the next 90 days, but I was just wondering, to try to get this charge expunged, I guess I still need to do it in Virginia and not in Missouri, correct?
4. Also, in court they said I would need 12 hours of community service and 12 hours of an alcohol class. However, it just says 12 Hours SAO DIV. I'm guessing the SAO stands for State Attorneys Office. Otherwise, there is no information on if I need both classes and community service or just one or the other.

The Occultist

1. Is the above true?
If the judge said it, it's likely true. Were you assigned a probation officer for the case? If so, he should be the guy to ask. Otherwise, call the court (or go in) and ask somebody there.

2. If yes, I should take the class in Virginia. Is there a site where I can see a list of places that offer the classes?
The PO/court should be able to provide with a list of approved classes.

3. Also, I will be a resident of Missouri (where my university is) by next August. I have to get this class done in the next 90 days, but I was just wondering, to try to get this charge expunged, I guess I still need to do it in Virginia and not in Missouri, correct?
Likely. Again, you should ask the PO/court.

4. Also, in court they said I would need 12 hours of community service and 12 hours of an alcohol class. However, it just says 12 Hours SAO DIV. I'm guessing the SAO stands for State Attorneys Office. Otherwise, there is no information on if I need both classes and community service or just one or the other.
You should ask your PO/court.

dave33

How come you did not ask your lawyer before signing. I suspect the class maybe longer than 3 months, but I woulod ask my lawyer and than if all else fails ask probation. goodluck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">