• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

minor in possession of marijuana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whiskers0218

Michigan
My daughter was pulled over while driving her boyfriend's car. He and a friend were in the car also. When my daughter asked why she was being pulled over, the officer said you know why, now step out of the vehicle and get in the police car. The car was searched and marijuana was found and cigarettes . Also the proof of insurance was expired.

My daughter was given a citation for the insurance, a citation for tobacco, she is 17, and a misdemeanor charge of possession. The other two occupants of the car were told to get out and leave. They were not charged with anything. The officers were waiting at the end of the boyfriend's street when they pulled them over. My daughter and her boyfriend were given a detective's card and told to call him tomorrow and to tell him where they got the marijuana from. I think someone set these kids up and now the police want them to set someone else up. The police had a truck with drug dogs waiting. My daughter is worried about setting someone up and getting herself killed.

Our attorney said to talk to the detective and tell him everything. What should we do?

Antigone*

Michigan
My daughter was pulled over while driving her boyfriend's car. He and a friend were in the car also. When my daughter asked why she was being pulled over, the officer said you know why, now step out of the vehicle and get in the police car. The car was searched and marijuana was found and cigarettes . Also the proof of insurance was expired.

My daughter was given a citation for the insurance, a citation for tobacco, she is 17, and a misdemeanor charge of possession. The other two occupants of the car were told to get out and leave. They were not charged with anything. The officers were waiting at the end of the boyfriend's street when they pulled them over. My daughter and her boyfriend were given a detective's card and told to call him tomorrow and to tell him where they got the marijuana from. I think someone set these kids up and now the police want them to set someone else up. The police had a truck with drug dogs waiting. My daughter is worried about setting someone up and getting herself killed.

Our attorney said to talk to the detective and tell him everything. What should we do?
You need to get a grip on your daughter. Dump the boyfriend, lose the friends, ground her until she turns 18 if you have any hopes of setting her straight. It is a sad state of affairs she has gotten herself in. She should speak to the police only with an attorney present.

justalayman

personally, I would not, nor would I allow my children to work as an undercover informant. In many cases I have known about, it was an informal agreement with the police. In several situations, they were dirty police who basically used the kids to get dealers. The biggest problem came when the cops simply continued to use the kids with no end in site.

If they threatened to stop informing, the police threatened to turn the kids cases over to the prosecutors office.

Unless there is a written deal with the courts (not the police), the kids are on the hook as long as the police want to play them.

Your daughter needs a new attorney from the way it sounds. I would not trust an attorney that simply said "talk to the detective and tell him everything". An attorney is hired to protect their client. Sometimes that means brokering a deal to minimize jail time or whatever. Sometimes that means he fights to prove their innocence. It always means he is present when his client is being questioned or talking to the police. Your statement sounded like he was just suggesting she go in and speak to the police, with no intent of being there with her. An attorney would be hard pressed to tell his client to "tell the police everything". It is his job to prevent his client from digging their own grave. Telling the police "everything" sounds a bit too open, to me.

LSCAP

Justalayman, I couldn’t have said it better.
But I suggest you add,

Somewhere and sometime the kid will have to testify. And everybody will know who she is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">