• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MIP of Marijuana, 1st time, please help! CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mr.Cap1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Recently, I was pulled over for speeding(not by much) and the officer walked up, he asked me if i knew why i was pulled over and i said "why?". he then said speeding and asked how much weed was in the car(it smelled and my eyes were red). at which point i handed him my stuff. all in all the cop was pretty chill and let me go with possession of marijuana in a vehicle. Now i am told that it will be just a fine but because i am 19 its a fine plus a license suspension of up to a year. it is my first offense so i think i have the chance to just do traffic school and be done with the license suspension but the ticket alone is 362$ and the traffic school to be 456$ which is well over what i can afford being in college and fixing my car plus it seems to be the same for a lawyer. I have a couple questions now.

My friend (talking from experience) insisted on pinching my cheeks and lauhing at me and said that because its such a small offense compared to idk theft and being that we are in california, that i should just plead not guilty.

should i plead not guilty? whats the likelyhood that the cop will show? if i do that and the cop shows and i plead no contest will the penalties be worse? do i lose the chance for traffic school?
also if i must accept the charges, can i find a less expensive traffic program or online course?

although im not diagnosed with anxiety, my high blood pressure makes me anxious, im scared, and im out of fingernails to bite off....:confused:

Last edited:

tranquility

Let's face it, your only chance is if the officer does not show up. Pleading no contest is the same as pleading guilty in your case. Because of your age, any conviction will result in a year suspension unless you have a critical need to drive. If you are really worried about that, you might get an attorney who will argue the point.

Mr.Cap1

Well it was under vc 23222(b) which I read was handled the same as the health and safety violation for possession.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">