• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

misdemeanor drug charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bakercpa

What is the name of your state? Florida

My 21 year old son was arrested for possession of marijuana under 20 grams (half a blunt). He has no prior arrests, and has a court date in 3 weeks for this. Do we need to retain an attorney? People are telling us (including the arresting officer) that basically they'll give him drug classes to attend and test him periodically for drugs in his system.
Since he really has do defense, what's the benefit or necessity of having a lawyer present?

FlyingRon

Never take legal advice from the police.

I'd at least do a telephone consult with an attorney to see if it is worth retaining his services.

Florida doesn't give much of a statutory break to small possession. He could spend up to a year in jail and $1000 fine. He's also going to lose his drivers license for between six months and two years.

taro

With a lawyer dismissal is possible, without one it isn't. Probation is not good he can expect constant harassment and surprise searches. In my experience probation draws kids to crime.

outonbail

With a lawyer dismissal is possible, without one it isn't. Probation is not good he can expect constant harassment and surprise searches. In my experience probation draws kids to crime.
I've found crime draws kids to probation now and then as well!:D

taro

Well said. I should clarify then.

A brush with the law should be painful and hopefully have a conclusion so the child can say "I never want to go through that again."

Probation stigmatizes a kid, he tells a friend at school who tells someone else and the reaction isn't bad, it's good (kids are morons) and soon he's bragging about it "I'm on probation or I'd kick your butt." Other kids think that's cool which reinforces his bad boy image. etc,

onelimited

What is the name of your state? Florida

My 21 year old son was arrested for possession of marijuana under 20 grams (half a blunt). He has no prior arrests, and has a court date in 3 weeks for this. Do we need to retain an attorney? People are telling us (including the arresting officer) that basically they'll give him drug classes to attend and test him periodically for drugs in his system.
Since he really has do defense, what's the benefit or necessity of having a lawyer present?

oooo slap on the wrist...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">