• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misdemeanor or Felony?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BWill

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hey all...I just have a question...In the year 2000 I was arrested for possession of a controlled substance (cocaine) and I was wondering whether this is a misdemeanor or a felony...It was my first time ever being in trouble with the law, and if I recall correctly it was a misdeameanor, but I am hoping someone out there can put my mind at ease ASAP...Thanks in advance

stephenk

what was the result of the charges? that will indicate whether you were convicted of a felony or misdemeanor.

B

BWill

I received the ARD program, with a bunch of court related fines and stuff...I also was on non reporting probation for a period of 6 months...Does that help you at all?

calatty

In CA, possession of cocaine is a felony. There is no misdemeanor possession of cocaine. The same might be true in PA.

M

Mike101

I know in New York, New Jresey, Virginia and North Carolina possession of cocaine is a felony. Since it is a schedule 2 controlled substance I would think it would be a felony in all 50 states.

stephenk

in california, the charge is a felony. but a first time offender who completes the diversion program (such as the poster) has the conviction reduced to a misdemeanor.

calatty

Actually, in CA it is not reduced to a misdemeanor, and can't be because a violation of Health and Safety Code is not a wobbler. It is dismissed (Pen. Code sections 1210.1, subd. (d), 1000.3.) But as it turns out, it looks like simple possession of cocaine is a misdemeanor in PA. (35 P.S. §§ 780-113(16), (37)(b); 18 Pa.C.S. § 106(b)(9); Comm. v. Delgado (1996) 544 Pa. 591, 594.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">