• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

misdemeanor marijuana possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CluelessMom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Rhode Island

HELP!!

My 19 year old son is in college in the State of RI and has been arrested on a misdemeanor marijuana possession charge (a few grams and drug paraphanelia.) Max sentence is 1 year in jail and $500 fine. He has never been arrested before. I am getting conflicting advice from many different sources on how to handle it. The lawyer wants to go to trial (for a large fee) but says he still may get convicted. The school says he should just plead "no lo contendere" and he will be fine and the public defenders office says they may be able to work a plea at his arraignment. I've called the court in RI but can't even seem to get anyone to tell me how the whole thing will play out. A close friend who is a lawyer in NY suggested trying to get the judge to agree to "adjournment in contemplation of dismissal" with certain conditions (fines, community service, etc.) or at the very least to plead guilty to a lesser charge in exchange for getting the drug charge dismissed. Does anyone know if these are even options in the state of Rhode Island or if if this can be arranged at the arraignment? We live in Indiana so we can't even be there and I am up at night worrying about whether he is going to be o.k. or have a drug record for life or even go to jail**************.... Any advice specific to the state of RI would be helpful

Last edited:

FlyingRon

ACD is a New York thing. Doesn't apply to RI. Don't think there's any similar program there.

If he pleads Nolo, he'll be found guilty. He'll take his chances with what the judge wants to give him. I'd not plead guilty or nolo without a firm idea of what the sanctions are going to be. He can probably get a fine, drug eval, probation, and community service (seems typical there).

The question for the lawyers is how likely he will be found guilty if gone to trial. Is there any defense that they are seriously considering mounting? If not, even the big $ lawyer can do his best to work out the best plea deal for nolo/guilty plea.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">