• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misdemeanor MIP - Can't make court date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

d_dawg

Colorado

I am being charged with misdemeanor possession of alcohol as my first offence. The officer said I would be able to reach a deal over the phone as I received the citation while travelling and am a full-time student almost 300 miles away from the court house. After calling the D.A., I am still being forced to appear in court without being able to reach an arangement over the phone. I have no vehicle. What options do I have? Currently I am considering:

- attempting to hire a lawyer to make a one time appearance on my behalf
- riding the bus, roughing it out at least two nights, and miss about 3-5 days of work and classes which I can ill afford to do

Will I be able to find an affordable attorney to make a one time appearance? Do I qualify for a public defender? Any advice would be appreciated!!

Last edited:

Silverplum

Colorado

I am being charged with misdemeanor possession of alcohol as my first offence. The officer said I would be able to reach a deal over the phone as I received the citation while travelling and am a full-time student almost 300 miles away from the court house. After calling the D.A., I am still being forced to appear in court without being able to reach an arangement over the phone. I have no vehicle. What options do I have? Currently I am considering:

- riding the bus, roughing it out at least two nights, and miss about 3-5 days of work and classes which I can ill afford to do

Will I be able to find an affordable attorney to make a one time appearance? Do I qualify for a public defender? Any advice would be appreciated!!
Here's contact info for the CO Public Defender offices: http://pdweb.coloradodefenders.us/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=7&Itemid=55

If you don't qualify, find and hire a local attorney to appear on your behalf. Much better than trying to handle it yourself.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Colorado

Your big problem is you seem to think appearing is something you can CHOOSE to do or not. You are not being "forced" to appear but rather these are the consequences of being charged. I note you did NOT deny having alcohol.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Start calling attorneys local to the court now and get an idea about what this will cost you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">