• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misdemeanor for Possession of Marijuana and Drug Paraphernalia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mostlylawabidin

Last night a friend and I were each given two tickets on misdemeanor charges for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. I think the nail is pretty much in the coffin, when the cops arrived, my friend said the weed and paraphernalia were ours without thinking. He claimed possession of everything, but both the weed and paraphernalia were in a backpack that i lent him. The officer discovered the bag was mine, and we were both charged. There is a lot of evidence against us so I don't think we can just get out of it. What is expunge/sealing the charge? How exactly does the court system work for misdemeanor charges like this? Will it affect college and job prospect?

FlyingRon

If you have an otherwise clean record you may qualify for diversion.
The questions you have are best answered by a lawyer. If you are indigent and can not afford one, then ask for a public defender at your first appearance.

curt055

Last night a friend and I were each given two tickets on misdemeanor charges for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. I think the nail is pretty much in the coffin, when the cops arrived, my friend said the weed and paraphernalia were ours without thinking. He claimed possession of everything, but both the weed and paraphernalia were in a backpack that i lent him. The officer discovered the bag was mine, and we were both charged. There is a lot of evidence against us so I don't think we can just get out of it. What is expunge/sealing the charge? How exactly does the court system work for misdemeanor charges like this? Will it affect college and job prospect?

I had a similar situation in pennsylvania. weed was mine in a backpack, separated in different bags. just as the cop searched the car, my phone rang and he answered it and made a deal acting like it was me. I was charged wit possession, but not intent to deliver(which is a felony). it does affect job placement although legally it shouldn't. I became a RN a few months ago and Im trying to get my record expunged so I'm not discriminated against. I got probation and some fines. no big deal.

ERAUPIKE

Yes, you will be ineligible for FASFA aid for two years after your conviction. If you are currently receiving FASFA funds your funding will be cut and you may be required to pay back any monies already received.

AttyHelinski

Hi, I'm new to this site, but I would first suggest being careful about what you write up here in terms of admitting to anything- I know it's just a minor misdemeanor case, but less is better in my view. You never know who is reading a public forum, including potentially police officers.

The most common and effective defense to drug charges are suppression issues, which is essentially the legality of the search. How did the police get into the bag?

Last edited by a moderator:

cyjeff

I had a similar situation in pennsylvania. weed was mine in a backpack, separated in different bags. just as the cop searched the car, my phone rang and he answered it and made a deal acting like it was me. I was charged wit possession, but not intent to deliver(which is a felony). it does affect job placement although legally it shouldn't. I became a RN a few months ago and Im trying to get my record expunged so I'm not discriminated against. I got probation and some fines. no big deal.
I am really confused here.

Why shouldn't a conviction for illegally using/possessing drugs effect your job prospects in a profession that handles drugs?

Basically, you have already proven that you don't believe the drug laws apply to you ... why shouldn't your future employers believe you?

RoxxSTL

I am really confused here.

Why shouldn't a conviction for illegally using/possessing drugs effect your job prospects in a profession that handles drugs?

Basically, you have already proven that you don't believe the drug laws apply to you ... why shouldn't your future employers believe you?
I would think an SIS would be in order, therefore, not affecting potential job prospects, as it is not a conviction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">