• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MJ Possession (11357 (b) HS)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

weebelow

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

For starters, it is good to know there are places like this out there. As I was looking around the net for info in light of my experience last evening, I found this place. I would like to thank any and all for any advice that can be provided.

So I got a ticket or "Notice to Appear" last evening in SF. I was caught with less than 3 grams of marijuana. The date I was provided to appear in court happens to coincide with a planned vacation and I will be in Ireland during that time (court date is 9/2/09). I phoned the court to see about possibly re-scheduling and was advised they do not offer that at all. I was advised that if I missed the court date as a result of this vacation that a bench warrant would be issued.

My questions are:
1) What options do I have here? I would like to NOT cancel the trip becausue of this; afterall, this is a trip with just me, my father and Ireland for 2 weeks. In all likelyhood, this is probably the last time he and I could take such a trip due to his advancing age.
2) If I do not attend the court date mentioned above, what does the bench warrant mean/do?
3a) If the bench warrant is issued while I am out of country, does this effect my ability to re-enter the US when I return (approx. 8 days after the court date)?
3b) Likewise, if the bench warrant is issued, what does this mean to the charge itself? Would there be any ramifications of this issuance?

I want to get this resolved, but I also do not want to miss out on a vacation that has been on again and off again since I graduated high school in 1993 and that we re-hatched during Christmas of this lastyear. I am a law neophyte here and am hoping some here could possibly point me in the right direction or provide some sound advce. Anything at all would be greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

1) What options do I have here? I would like to NOT cancel the trip becausue of this; afterall, this is a trip with just me, my father and Ireland for 2 weeks. In all likelyhood, this is probably the last time he and I could take such a trip due to his advancing age.
You can hire an attorney who might be able to appear at your arraignment on your behalf, or, maybe he can get it changed.

If not, then you have a decision to make ... cancel the trip, or risk arrest after you come back.

2) If I do not attend the court date mentioned above, what does the bench warrant mean/do?
It means that the police can come and haul you to jail until you see a judge.

3a) If the bench warrant is issued while I am out of country, does this effect my ability to re-enter the US when I return (approx. 8 days after the court date)?
It shouldn't.

3b) Likewise, if the bench warrant is issued, what does this mean to the charge itself? Would there be any ramifications of this issuance?
If the matter is to be handled in traffic court, then it means that you may end up with a default judgment and it might go to collections. I am not familiar with the practice in SF County.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">