• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mj possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pashington

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I would like to thank people ahead of time for any responses given.

A few weeks ago, my friend and I were smoking in his car in a college campus parking lot at night. After some time, the school police showed up and boxed us in. As my friend rolled down the window to talk to them, all the smoke went out the car, so the cop knew we were smoking marijuana. We complied with the officer and gave him all the weed and allowed him to search us and the car. The officer said that he would make a note that we were compliant. My friend and I were both given possession tickets of less than an ounce and we were let go.

Also, I have a clean record other than 2 traffic tickets (speeding), so this is my first criminal offense

I don't know how the process works so I was wondering:

Is it necessary to get an attorney for the court date for this offense?
What should I expect at the court?
What do I need to do to get the charge off my record to not affect my future?

Thanks again for any feedback!

Last edited:

pashington

The thing is I don't take student loans. I receive financial aid from the state (Cal Grant). Does that make a difference, since Cal Grants are state based and student loans are usually federal based?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">