• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mj possession & financial aid eligibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jprogram

What is the name of your state? California

Got busted for possession of marijuana the other day (cvc23222 (b)). I was just wondering if anyone knows if this could make me ineligible to recieve financial aid. On the FAFSA website it says that if convicted of a state or federal possession of illegal drugs that it makes you ineligible. What I don't know is if this is a state charge, county, city, etc... Also, if it is a state charge is there any sort of diversion program, or rehab program I could opt to take that would keep this from going on my record, and how would I go about asking for that?

Also, I have a clean record, no previous convictions of anysort. I am 23, a Software Engineering student at a prestigious engineering school, I get mostly A's. I am not a delinquent, aside from smoking the occasional joint. I understand they probably don't want us spending money on pot if we need money for school, but I dont' spend $100 a year on it, whereas I spend considerably more on beer.

I also work part time to help put myself through school. I just wanted to throw this out there that it seems unfair that had I been convicted of assault with a deadly weapon or drunk driving(or attempted murder for that matter) I would still be elligible for financial aid. Yet since I smoke the occasional joint I could lose my financial aid and be forced to drop out of college.(sorry, just had to vent... I know, I know I should run for office and get elected if I have a complaint about the system)

Thanks to anyone for any advice they have to offer
-James

fairisfair

quite honestly, this question has been asked and answered several times on the site. Use your search function, I would try FAFSA as a key word.

As for diversion, that information should be available to you with a little research, or ask your local public defender or prosecutor.

jprogram

Ok, searched for FAFSA and drug possession and nothing came up. Then I just searched FAFSA and nothing came up involving the drug possession/distributing aspect of it. So I checked through the last 3 pages of threads and there wasn't anything in there about whether it was state, county, city conviction, etc...

"As for diversion, that information should be available to you with a little research, or ask your local public defender or prosecutor."

how would I go about getting into contact with one of them?

So if anyone knows if it's cvc 23222(b) is a city, county, state or federal charge...
Or if anyone knows if there's any way to not have it show up on my record if convicted...
Or if anyone knows if it is on my record and I do some sort of rehab if I can still be elligible for financial aid...

muchas gracias
-james

CdwJava

jprogram said:
So if anyone knows if it's cvc 23222(b) is a city, county, state or federal charge...
It's a misdemeanor violation of the California Vehicle Code for possession of less than one ounce (28.5 grams) of marijuana.

Or if anyone knows if there's any way to not have it show up on my record if convicted...
Enter into a plea deal for diversion. In that case the judgment would be withheld until you pass or fail the diversion program. If you succeed, it becomes a detention only and not a conviction.

Or if anyone knows if it is on my record and I do some sort of rehab if I can still be elligible for financial aid...
It will stay on your driving record if convicted, but not likely to result in a criminal offender record with the state or feds.

As for eligibility for financial aid, I really don't know. You might consider calling the financial aid office at the school you are attending. Or, if you are afraid, call the aid office of a similar college offering the same aid program and ask them.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">