• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

multiple questions ra

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jaoper

What is the name of your state? Texas

We were raided. There is a public school in view from our home. During
the raid, an officer mentioned the school and a day care. He then
mentioned that we are in a drug free zone or school zone. I would like
to know the law regarding the distance around the school that is
considered a drug free zone. In addition, I would like any info or case
sites on drug free zones that I can get my hands on. Please direct me to
the right place or inform me. I appreciate it.

JETX

Texas Health & Safety Code:
§ 481.134. Drug-Free Zones
"(b) An offense otherwise punishable as a state jail felony under Section 481.112, 481.113, 481.114, or 481.120 is punishable as a felony of the third degree, and an offense otherwise punishable as a felony of the second degree under any of those sections is punishable as a felony of the first degree, if it is shown at the punishment phase of the trial of the offense that the offense was committed:
(1) in, on, or within 1,000 feet of premises owned, rented, or leased by an institution of higher learning or a playground; or
(2) in, on, or within 300 feet of the premises of a public or private youth center, public swimming pool, or video arcade facility"
Source: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/he/he0048100.html#he064.481.134

Simply, the fact that the act was done within a 'drug-free zone' elevates it up one level in felony class.

Of interest:
http://www.cca.courts.state.tx.us/opinions/031499b.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">