• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mushrooms and Cash seized

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheMuckster

What is the name of your state? California

I was pulled over, my car smelled like weed, the cops searched it and found <4g of marijuana and 11 grams of mushrooms. They also seized $8500 cash. I was not charged with distribution or anything. But is this money as good as gone or can i get it back?

CdwJava

What is the name of your state? California

I was pulled over, my car smelled like weed, the cops searched it and found <4g of marijuana and 11 grams of mushrooms. They also seized $8500 cash. I was not charged with distribution or anything. But is this money as good as gone or can i get it back?
If the police intend to keep it - and with that amount of money, I suspect they WILL initiate forfeiture proceedings - they have to start the legal ball rolling. I would expect your charges to be amended to trafficking if they do intend to file, however. That might take them a little more time and might be tough depending on what they find in their subsequent investigation.

At this point, you lose nothing by going to the police department and asking to get your money back.

So ... what did you tell them about the money? A rich relative died and left it to you without any record? You just sold a used car, stereo, etc. to a guy whose name and address you can't recall? (These are just a few of the ones I have heard)

Consult local counsel.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">