• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My daughter is in cook county and needs a free lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thewildwests

My daughter was arrested in Schaumburg, IL on Drug charges . She is cook county jail on California and 26th. She needs a free lawyer to help her. She has no job and no way to contact anyone but me. I have no idea who to call or where to find a free lawyer. Can you help?? She had a bail hearing on Nov 11th. Her next court date is Dec 7th so time is of the essence.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Isis1

My daughter was arrested in Schaumburg, IL on Drug charges . She is cook county jail on California and 26th. She needs a free lawyer to help her. She has no job and no way to contact anyone but me. I have no idea who to call or where to find a free lawyer. Can you help?? She had a bail hearing on Nov 11th. Her next court date is Dec 7th so time is of the essence.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
sounds like daughter needs to get herself a public defender.

Antigone*

We are not an attorney referral service. Your daughter got herself in this heap of trouble and now she needs to get herself out.

Country Living

Maybe the daughter needs to stay in jail for awhile. This way she'll get three hots and a cot (do they say that any more) while keeping her away from the bad elements in her life.

SaturnSL1

Lawyers aren't FREE, someone has to pay the bill (tax payers). I've been in your daughters position before... before I was, and still am, out of work due to the economy. I had to obtaine a public defender for my own court case. I had no other means of obtaining an attorney.

All you have to do is go to court on your court date and the judge will ask you what do you want to do about your case. He will tell you the possible penalties for the crime that she committed (jail, probation, fines). Then ask you what do you want to do about the case. Just ask tell him you need to, either reschedule due to finances. Or tell him you need to have a court appointed lawyer. He will give you a clipboard and tell you fill out some paperwork. It's only a few questions, how much is in your bank account? do you own any cars, property? What is your income? What are your bills?

The judge will review the information, and tell you right then and there if you qualify for a court appointed attorney.

IF you do, you will be referred to a building where the court appointed attorneys work. You will meet with your attorney, and she/he will handle the case for you. You don't have to pay a penny.

Court appointed attorneys are just as good as the paid attorneys. I've had paid and court appointed attorneys before.

SaturnSL1

Your daugher should be able to post bail anytime. You need to call a bail's bondman to get her out. You pay the bail bondsman usually 10 percent of her bail. So if she has a 1000 dollar bail from the courts, you pay the bail bondsman 100 dollars. He basically loans you money, and you pay him a percentage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">