• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my legal grow room burned down!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spalding

What is the name of your state? california

i was hoping you could shed some light on an incident/situation which occurred at my home recently. we are home owners who are also legal patients who grow for our own personal consumption in the state of ca. all within the letter of the law. recently we suffered a fire that burned down our little operation. our home is fully insured with coverage of "other structures" and we are wondering if we should file a claim with our insurance company. we are also wondering if this sort of thing has come up in the past or if there is a precedent that has been set. the fire dept. mentioned what was taking place in our shed in the report. any information would be greatly appreciated.
thank you for your time and consideration.

tranquility

Go for it, although there is not legal precedent. The IRS does not recognize the legality of such things, but that is the federal governement. You have a state issue. There are two things which might happen. One is that you slip though the cracks and get compensated. The second is that they find out the particulars and the insurance company fights it and you have a case of first impression.

If a case of first impression, you will need to decide if you stand for a principal or if the economics will rule.

JETX

Questions:
1) What was the finding as to the cause of the fire?
2) Are you trying to recover more than the REAL value of the property?? Loss of 'product'??

Last edited:

spalding

my legal shed....

cause is listed as unintentional by the fire dept. we are looking to recover the loss of the shed and the lights and ballasts etc. their was no "product" just equipment of which is expensive.

cause is listed as unintentional by the fire dept. we are looking to recover the loss of the shed and the lights and ballasts etc. their was no "product" just equipment of which is expensive.
if you have receipts or proof of the equipment existing i don't see why not. what's the worse thing that will happen? they say no?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">