• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my Miranda rights were never read to me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mmmk

I have an unlawful possession of marijuana charge, however, when i was arrested, my Miranda rights were never read to me. do i have a case? should i get a legal person to translate my case to the judge/should i fight the charges?

I have an unlawful possession of marijuana charge, however, when i was arrested, my Miranda rights were never read to me. do i have a case? should i get a legal person to translate my case to the judge/should i fight the charges?
The police only need to read you your Miranda rights before you are interrogated in custody. Arrests can occur without questioning and therefore with no need to read Miranda.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The police only need to read you your Miranda rights before you are interrogated in custody. Arrests can occur without questioning and therefore with no need to read Miranda.
And, even that is not quite correct. The police don't need to mirandize anybody. The only way they HAVE to mirandize is if they want to use the person's testimony at trial against them.

Well, if we're going to get all technical, they don't have to Mirandize if they want to use the person's statement (not testimony) against him at trial--if it is used to impeach the person's testimony.

But, that's just if we want to be pedantic.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">