• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My son the idiot....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ShadowShark

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Please, any advice is helpful. My 19 year old son has Autism Spectrum Disorder. He has a 215 card, which does not state the quantity of marijuana he may carry at any given time. His diagnoses are PTSD, Anxiety Disorder, and Panic Disorder. He was stopped, for "suspicious behavior", which is a bit silly, as we live in a 4 stoplight town, and the Sheriffs all know James, and that he's harmless, but whatever...he was given a ticket for H & S code 11357 (c), as he did not have his card with him. James says he doesn't remember being told to always carry it, and his memory is compromised by his Autism. This should be just a "fix-it" ticket, I'd think. Oh, James was carrying about 5oz., to make edible concentrates (I make them, actually), as he doesn't like to smoke. As I understand it, this is punishable by 6mos-1yr. in the county jail, and a $500 fine. I think this should be a no-file. Any comments, suggestions, etc. gratefully accepted!!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Please, any advice is helpful. My 19 year old son has Autism Spectrum Disorder. He has a 215 card, which does not state the quantity of marijuana he may carry at any given time. His diagnoses are PTSD, Anxiety Disorder, and Panic Disorder. He was stopped, for "suspicious behavior", which is a bit silly, as we live in a 4 stoplight town, and the Sheriffs all know James, and that he's harmless, but whatever...he was given a ticket for H & S code 11357 (c), as he did not have his card with him. James says he doesn't remember being told to always carry it, and his memory is compromised by his Autism. This should be just a "fix-it" ticket, I'd think. Oh, James was carrying about 5oz., to make edible concentrates (I make them, actually), as he doesn't like to smoke. As I understand it, this is punishable by 6mos-1yr. in the county jail, and a $500 fine. I think this should be a no-file. Any comments, suggestions, etc. gratefully accepted!!!
Your son is facing a misdemeanor (a CRIME) - I would suggest that he speaks with an attorney about his options. Frankly, carrying around 5 ounces doesn't seem consistent with an amount required for personal use. Furthermore, bringing it to you for you to prepare edibles could actually lead to him (and you) being charged with additional crimes. I would suggest that he ONLY speak with his attorney moving forward.

FlyingRon

If your son had a valid recommendation at the time of his arrest (chortle) then he should be able to beat this in court. It's not required that you carry the ID card or recommendation with you but it certainly would decrease the liklihood of being arrested.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If your son had a valid recommendation at the time of his arrest (chortle) then he should be able to beat this in court. It's not required that you carry the ID card or recommendation with you but it certainly would decrease the liklihood of being arrested.
By the letter of the law, he was not transporting it for personal use.

Just Blue

My son the idiot....
This ^ and only this I will comment on....Apples don't fall far from the tree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">