• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My son was on Spice while involved in a burglary.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kdavila1068

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Florida. My son was involved in a burglary. He was smoking Spice before the burglary and doesn't remember going into the home. He was with two co-defendants, one of which is still on the run, in a stolen vehicle with a gun under the driver seat. He was a passenger, no DNA on the weapon, no proof he was aware that the car was stolen and the stolen articles were returned to the homeowner immediately after they were stopped. NO DNA on the stolen items either. My questions are many, here are a few: are there many cases involving people who are high on spice? Does it affect their judgment to the point where they cannot remember their actions? No DNA on the weapon or stolen items, does that not count for something?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Florida. My son was involved in a burglary. He was smoking Spice before the burglary and doesn't remember going into the home. He was with two co-defendants, one of which is still on the run, in a stolen vehicle with a gun under the driver seat. He was a passenger, no DNA on the weapon, no proof he was aware that the car was stolen and the stolen articles were returned to the homeowner immediately after they were stopped. NO DNA on the stolen items either. My questions are many, here are a few: are there many cases involving people who are high on spice? Does it affect their judgment to the point where they cannot remember their actions? No DNA on the weapon or stolen items, does that not count for something?
Tell your son to ask his attorney these questions.:rolleyes:

tranquility

Voluntary intoxication is not a defense for most crimes.
I agree. While we may talk about specific intent, one does not escape liability because one chooses to eliminate the ability to intend.

Shut up. Talk only to your (son's) attorney.

swalsh411

So you actually think people should get away with something because they choose to become intoxicated? Let's hope not!

You should be grateful nobody was killed otherwise your son would be looked at a felony murder charge.

dave33

The fact that he was under the influence will not lessen his accountability. It may however add a drug program at the sentencing phase.

The fact that dna does not exist is of very little importance. In this situation I would be very surprised if any dna tests even got done. goodluck.

kdavila1068

thank you

You obviously took the time to read my post and understood my questions. Im just wondering what effect that spice has on people. i dont exoect him to get away with anything and im not going to shut up, as some of the other people commented. Im worried for my son and havent gotten any positive answers from anyone. All in all, hes still my child. Again, thank you for your help =)

quincy

You obviously took the time to read my post and understood my questions. Im just wondering what effect that spice has on people. i dont exoect him to get away with anything and im not going to shut up, as some of the other people commented. Im worried for my son and havent gotten any positive answers from anyone. All in all, hes still my child. Again, thank you for your help =)
People can react differently to Spice.

We had a criminal case in Michigan where the victim was on Spice and, apparently, out of control. He was shot to death.

I have heard of those under the influence of Spice having panic attacks and hallucinations. I imagine it would not be out of the question to think that someone under its influence would forget their actions.

Your son's attorney will help with his defense and part of that defense will be consulting with medical experts. Your son's best source of information at this point is his attorney - and your best action is to support your son as much as you feel you can and to try not to harm his case in any way by talking too much about his case with others.

I am sure it is hard for you to see your son in the mess he is in. Good luck.

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

im not going to shut up, as some of the other people commented.
The reason people are telling you to shut up is to help your son.

How many people in Florida have been recently arrested where they were involved in a burglary, one got away, one claims he doesn't remember, and there was a gun found under the driver's seat?

Were the police sure that someone was on the run, or did they just suspect it? If Florida law enforcement read your message, they have confirmed that there was a third person.

What other information do you want them to have? They are likely still trying to piece together the puzzle. You're helping them.

If you've got 45 minutes to kill, watch the video I have listed in my signature, and maybe you'll understand why you should keep your mouth closed as well.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
We're not a drug effects board. I'd think that Google would be more appropriate to ask that question. :cool:

quincy

To back up what Stevef has said, I know personally of two people who posted to this forum who had their posts work against them in court (and I have heard there have been several others like them). These posters were warned in advance not to divulge too much information but they did anyway - and it was to their detriment.

It is not that we don't want to answer your questions. It is just not in your son's best interest for you to be asking the questions on a public forum in the first place.

You can research Spice and its effects on your own. You do not need our help. Good luck.

dave33

As already pointed out, people react differently. It has weird chemicals and some people really have strong paranoia or other effects. Legally it would have the same defense as any other drug. In some situations the drug use might make the defendant eligible for a program. In this case probably not because of the serious nature of the crime and the possible violent enhancement.

eerelations

im not going to shut up, as some of the other people commented. Im worried for my son...
You're obviously not as worried about your son as are the responders who told you to shut up. As others have noted, everything you've posted here is public and can be used against your son in court. But you evidently don't care about that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">