• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NC Pot Bust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wr884

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Two nights ago i was in the ghetto in my town and i went and got some weed with 2 friends i didnt go inside. But a cop see's us and pulls us over and he searches the car and finds my pipe and my weed. Now i was charged with the same thing back in March and was sent to teen court and my case was dismissed so i figure they cant get me for that because of no double jepordy. But I ratted the dealer out and showed the cop where he lives and the cop said he'd speak for me in court and try to get charges dropped. Are these chances likely??? What kind of sentence do you think i could get?

FlyingRon

Double jeopardy means they can't try you twice for the same offense, but you continued to violate the law. Every time the police find you with drugs or paraphernalia they can charge you and try you and you may found guilty again.

Are you an adult now?
Were you the one driving?
What did they charge you with?
How much weed?

First possession of less than a half ounce is a suspended sentence and $200.
The paraphernalia charge might carry jail time.
Drugged driving is a serious offence in NC.
Diversion might be possible on the posession/paraphernalia charge.

Dude you need a lawyer.

VeronicaLodge

wow you mean once i murder someone, I'm not free to murder as many people as I want because I'm protected by double jeopardy? wow, news to me! lol

Wr884

im 17 now i was the one driving. I was not on anything. I was charged with possesion of marijuana and paraphanalia. It was less than 1/2 ounce. Like i said the cop said he would speak for me in court and said the DA may drop a charge or something.

When i was talking about double jeopardy i didnt mean that they couldnt charge me for this particular offense that happend two nights ago. What i meant was that they couldnt bring back the case that happend in june, the cop said they could but i think he was trying to scare me

Last edited:

The Occultist

They can't charge you again for that crime for which you were already punished, but that past incident can certainly be brought up again to show that you are a repeat offender to convince the courts that a more strict punishment should be in order for you this time around.

FlyingRon

...and if your prior disposition was probation or a suspended sentence, this may INDEED reopen the earlier one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">