• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NCIC Report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andy.hackbarth

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYC, NY
I need to know how to obtain an official NCIC/FBI Report. At the moment I am unable to get a position within the Department of Education in NYC because the information within the NCIC report they have and my actual history do not match up. I need the report to show the courts in Wisconsin that somewhere along the line there was a mistake, and my future is dependent on the report being corrected. Thank you for your time.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYC, NY
I need to know how to obtain an official NCIC/FBI Report. At the moment I am unable to get a position within the Department of Education in NYC because the information within the NCIC report they have and my actual history do not match up. I need the report to show the courts in Wisconsin that somewhere along the line there was a mistake, and my future is dependent on the report being corrected. Thank you for your time.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: so when you contacted the FBI office via certified rrr mail, what did they write back to you with?

andy.hackbarth

I didn't contact the FBI in that way. Rather, my father visited the FBi office in Milwaukee and they were unable to give him any information. Would that be the best first step, that is, to contact the FBI via certified mail asking to obtain the report? Thank you.

SIN EATER

The Dept of Ed, NY, should have shown you what is reflected on the NCIC report.
Did you write down, exactly, what was on the report ?
Charge, penal code section, date, city, state ??

In most states, if you write the Dept of Justice, you can get a copy of your convictions on file. Start here:
Office of Justice Information Systems

write, or email them & explain your situation. They can check your record, as they have it, and will point you in the right direction to locate another state's records and methods of correction.

Good luck.

andy.hackbarth

I do have all of that information (charge, penal code section, date, city, state, etc.) from the NCIC Report of the false charges. Unfortunately the Dept of Ed would not allow me to make a copy of the report when I was there. The people that I have talked to thus far have suggested I obtain the actual NCIC report in order to compare the information with the correct charges that can be easily acquired on the Wisconsin Circuit Court Access website. With all of the official information on hand I will be able to clearly show the difference. Thank you for the link. I appreciate your suggestions.

SIN EATER

Well, tell us about the charges.

What were they ?

What, about their being on your record, is incorrect ?

Possibly the Wisconsin court reported the wrong charge ??
Was this a felony drug conviction dropped to a misdemeanor or deferred adjudication on the charges ? a theft charge with deferred adjudication ?

The wrong level ? The wrong sentence ?

Court staff should correct their entries when they are made aware of the error.

Get a certified copy of your sentencing sheet/conviction from the Wisconsin court.
Find out if the Court has the wrong info in their file, or if they simply reported the wrong offense to DOJ.
You may need the original transcript if the charge was reduced in court and was never entered in your court file or sentencng sheet correctly.
Ask the Wisconsin court to check their records as to how the conviction was reported by them to their Department of Justice.

andy.hackbarth

The charges are misdemeanor Possession of Amphetamines/LSD/Psilocybin, Possession of THC (2), Possession of Drug Paraphernalia. Specifically, the mistake made was that two of the charges were repeated on the NCIC Report. We found six possession charges when there only should have been four.

The Amphetamine/LSD/Psilocybin charge was the result of a plea deal (I think that is what you call it). The original charge was a felony Conspiracy to Manufacture Psilocybin. Same thing with the marijuana possession. I was in a very strict county in Wisconsin (Walworth) where one's second possession of THC trouble is charged as a felony. Yes, you read that correctly. The plea deal resulted in misdemeanor possession.

Does the Dept. of Justice in turn report the information back to the Wisconsin courts?

Thanks for your good advice.

20pilot

Do you really think that the Depart of Education in NYC will hire you if you had only 4 drug convictions instead of 6?

andy.hackbarth

Yes. This is misdemeanor possession that occurred over six years ago when I was a teenager. A lot has happened since then. I met within the Dept. of Ed last December and am cleared once this mistake is taken care of.

20pilot

Yes....I met within the Dept. of Ed last December and am cleared once this mistake is taken care of.
So they are OK wth someone that has 4 convictions but are not OK with someone that has 6 convictions?

According to you:

Specifically, the mistake made was that two of the charges were repeated on the NCIC Report. We found six possession charges when there only should have been four.

20pilot

The problem they have is that I can't explain the other two convictions. Do you have any advice as to how to fix this?
Any advice I could give on "fixing" the problem would be repeating what has already been posted.

I also do not want someone with 4 drug convictions teaching my child. One conviction is a mistake and could be overlooked. A second conviction is not excusable (your 4 convictions arise out of at least 2 different events from when you were 18 or older). Your making excuses like "it was in a strict county" indicates that you have not truly accepted that what you did was wrong.

I am seriously disappointed in an education system that will let such a person anywhere near a school even as a janitor as long as they can "explain" their behavior.

CdwJava

I need to know how to obtain an official NCIC/FBI Report.
NCIC doesn't hold criminal history data, it allows law enforcement and others access to state computer systems.

At the moment I am unable to get a position within the Department of Education in NYC because the information within the NCIC report they have and my actual history do not match up.
Then you need to contact the relevant holder of that information (be it the state of New York or som eother state) and find out how to get a copy of your state criminal history ... assuming it is that history that does not "match up".

The FBI will not hold your state criminal history, either. They may have a record of some of your arrests and contacts, but not all. You need to contact the states holding the records.

What state is it that holds the disputed record? If New York, then it appears Sin Eater already provided a link to where you can start. Plus, if NY state criminal histories are like California's, what you may be seeing are not additional offenses, but records of the same proceedings. Ours reflect the original arrest and are then entered once more if convicted. So, to the untrained eye, it can appear to be multiple entries when it is not. Perhaps you should ask a local law enforcement official to interpret it for you.

- Carl

andy.hackbarth

Fair enough 20pilot. I understand why many people would not want someone in the school system with drug possession convictions, even if the person is no longer a user. Also, it is good to know that you or anyone else supports the advice other members have posted.

CdwJava:Thank you for the clarification about NCIC.

It is an FBI report that the Dept of Ed used, that I in turn need a copy of, to show Wisconsin Courts.

However, you wrote:"Plus, if NY state criminal histories are like California's, what you may be seeing are not additional offenses, but records of the same proceedings. Ours reflect the original arrest and are then entered once more if convicted. So, to the untrained eye, it can appear to be multiple entries when it is not. Perhaps you should ask a local law enforcement official to interpret it for you."

Thank you! Since the beginning this is what I thought the problem was, but I had no one's experience to compare it to. I will contact the Dept. of Education and explain this possibility.

The convictions are from Wisconsin but I now live in NYC. I appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

CdwJava

Anyone not experienced in reading a state's particular criminal history format can easily misread it. What most people do not realize is that the structure of the printouts have not really changed in 30+ years. Even as technology changed, the formatting of the data has not (for technical reasons), and thus the printouts don't usually read like a nice and simple report, but instead a jumble of abbreviations, codes, and odd formatting. Just TRY to read a raw DMV printout!

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">