• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Heelp!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danielvaiz

I live in California, I was charged with possesion and was offered Prop 36. I completed my N/A classes and my question is, has it been removed from my record or will it show? It was my first offense and I didn't pay a fine or serve any jail time.

But this happened 4-5 years ago, and I havn't had any offenses other than traffic tickets. I'm trying to find out if Prop 36 has/had a "clause" in it that if I completed classes (which I did) the "perk" of the Prop was there would be no fine, case would be dismissed and wiped from my record. It was my first and only offense of that nature. I' trying to get into the US Army, and that could be the only thing holding me back.

Last edited:

CdwJava

Do not assume anything. Until the court tells you the matter has been cleared, assume it will show up.

I_Got_Banned

My understanding is that it will still show up as "dismissed" unless and until you get it "expunged". I could be wrong though!

CdwJava

The case has to be brought back before the court before it will be "dismissed." This happens when the classes have been completed and all terms of the Prop 36 probation are complete.

LillianV

If all terms have been completed and you have paperwork to that effect but later get in trouble in another state, can that be used against you?

dave33

Not sure about Cal.In my state when a charge is dismissed, it still shows up as the original charge and a disposition of dismissed. Than you can move to have it expunged. goodluck.

CdwJava

It will show that it is dismissed on your CORI printout (criminal offender record). But, since in CA you do not have to admit to most private employers that you were arrested as they can only inquire about CONVICTIONS, you might never have to tell an employer in CA that you were ever arrested or on Prop. 36. Provided, of course, that the case has been brought back to the court and dismissed. Simply completing the classes does not automatically mean you are free and clear. Until a court says so, you are not clear.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">