• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need help finding relevant info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TAmbo

What is the name of your state?SC
My boyfriend was arrested in SC. He wants me to find court cases very similar to his situation. He was driving a car that didn't fit the description of the car the police were looking for and didn't have the contents in the car that they were looking for. They stopped and searched his car anyway. They did find a small amount of drugs in the car. What sites can I search and what words can I use? So far "illegal searches", "vehicle profiling","mistaken identity" haven't worked.

They were looking for a white cheeroki jeep with tinted windows and NC plates
He was driving a white trailblazer jeep (rental) without tints and VA plates

The Occultist

Looking for court cases isn't going to do you much good as you most likely don't have the ability to use the legal knowledge behind each of these cases as a defence during a trial. Leave that to the lawyer.
Anyways, the police were looking for a white jeep, they found a white jeep. The plates may have been different, but somebody who stole a vehicle could easily but a different plate on. It may have ended up being the wrong vehicle, but the police did find a different crime going on, and made the arrest, and depending on how well the police articulate in their reports, they very likely had probably cause for their search of the vehicle. It will be up to the defense attorney to dispute whether the police did indeed have probable cause to search the vehicle.

The Occultist

Haha I can't believe I didn't catch that. Just read through and saw "white jeep" in both descriptions. I guess the officers will have to do a spectacular job in their report for this one.

TAmbo

Maxthedog said:
Why was he pulled over? Was he under the influence at the time? Did he give them any reason to search the car? :confused:
He wasn't under the influence or anything. The police followed him after he left a gas station. They stopped him because they were going by a car description from an anonymous informant tip and he didn't stop when they put on the siren. When they finally stopped him they made everyone get out of the car. They searched and found open liquor and i think $45 or $75 (street value) of coke in between the seats. Everyone was arrested. At prelim 2 friends were dismissed. Another friend claimed the drugs and recently received 1yr pobation for personl use. He is still being held/charged with PWID and failure to stop. Maybe because he was the driver? Now he's waiting for a trail date.

TAmbo

The Occultist said:
Looking for court cases isn't going to do you much good as you most likely don't have the ability to use the legal knowledge behind each of these cases as a defence during a trial. Leave that to the lawyer.
Anyways, the police were looking for a white jeep, they found a white jeep. The plates may have been different, but somebody who stole a vehicle could easily but a different plate on. It may have ended up being the wrong vehicle, but the police did find a different crime going on, and made the arrest, and depending on how well the police articulate in their reports, they very likely had probably cause for their search of the vehicle. It will be up to the defense attorney to dispute whether the police did indeed have probable cause to search the vehicle.
That's what I told him, but he feels that his lawyer is very busy and may wait until the last minute to work on his case before the trail so he wants me to send him these court cases.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">