• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help w Family Drug Problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

treppucc

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

My 28 year old brother is still living with my parents and has a HUGE drug problem. He steals money and prescription medications from my parents and grandmother and is frequently violent. They have taken him to treatment programs, but he is not interested in anything but getting him more drugs. We love him but I am at the point where I can no longer deal with him terrorizing my family.

My question is, if I were to do something like call the police on him (perhaps when I know he is going out for drugs, or threatening to hurt someone in the house), could my parents get in trouble if the police find drugs in the house? My father also owns a business with my uncle, where my brother worked until the drugs made it impossible for him to function. My parents are also going broke supporting his habit (he demands money and gets violent if they don't give it to him).

Please help. We are all scared. He is a violent coke addict. I am four yrs older than him and I don't live with my family but visit often. I no longer think it is possible to save my brother, but we need to find a way to get him out of the house. My parents have tried to kick him out but he pulled out a knife on them, so they're afraid. They are living in fear of this monster in their own home.

thanks

Last edited:

seniorjudge

treppucc said:

My 28 year old brother is still living with my parents and has a HUGE drug problem. He steals money and prescription medications from my parents and grandmother and is frequently violent. They have taken him to treatment programs, but he is not interested in anything but getting him more drugs. We love him but I am at the point where I can no longer deal with him terrorizing my family.

My question is, if I were to do something like call the police on him (perhaps when I know he is going out for drugs, or threatening to hurt someone in the house), could my parents get in trouble if the police find drugs in the house? My father also owns a business with my uncle, where my brother worked until the drugs made it impossible for him to function. My parents are also going broke supporting his habit (he demands money and gets violent if they don't give it to him).

Please help. We are all scared. He is a violent coke addict. I am four yrs older than him and I don't live with my family but visit often. I no longer think it is possible to save my brother, but we need to find a way to get him out of the house. My parents have tried to kick him out but he pulled out a knife on them, so they're afraid. They are living in fear of this monster in their own home.

thanks

Q: My question is, if I were to do something like call the police on him (perhaps when I know he is going out for drugs, or threatening to hurt someone in the house), could my parents get in trouble if the police find drugs in the house?

A: Yes.

My 28 year old brother is still living with my parents and has a HUGE drug problem.

So do your mom and dad. Until they get some backbone, expect things to get worse.

smutlydog

treppucc said:

thanks
I don't think calling the cops would be a good thing. Your parents need to kick him out of the house if he won't take treatment seriously. I am not trying to say they need to get rid of him because he is a hopeless case. He needs to bottom out and your parents keeping that from happening. It may seem strange but loosing everything works for some people.

JETX

treppucc said:
My 28 year old brother is still living with my parents and has a HUGE drug problem. He steals money and prescription medications from my parents and grandmother and is frequently violent.
if I were to do something like call the police on him (perhaps when I know he is going out for drugs, or threatening to hurt someone in the house), could my parents get in trouble if the police find drugs in the house?
Where the hell are YOUR priority's???
Gee, your brother is stealing and physically violent. You can do something about it... and protect your parents!!
Yet you are afraid that they will "get in trouble"???
Get some balls and get some help for your PARENTS.... and get this low-life scum out of their life.

outonbail

JETX said:
Where the hell are YOUR priority's???
Gee, your brother is stealing and physically violent. You can do something about it... and protect your parents!!
Yet you are afraid that they will "get in trouble"???
Get some balls and get some help for your PARENTS.... and get this low-life scum out of their life.
I hear Brazil is nice this time of the year!

calatty

The only way to deal with this situation is to remove him from the home until he is off drugs. If necessary, get a restraining order. If he violates the restraining order, and certainly if he threatens anyone with a weapon, you have to call the police. As long as you enable his behavior and addiction by providing him with money and shelter, the situation will not improve. You are not helping him but hurting him, and yourselves. You should also check whether there are Naranon meetings for families of drug addicts in your area.

Last edited:

Donny H

It's very difficult for parents to do what has to be done, and that is to end all contact.

Restraining order are the magic words, get one, and call the police EVERY time your brother violates that order, have him jailed repeatedly.

Stick to it, no contact, no Christmas dinners, no birthday card, no calls for Mothers Day. Nothing.

Let him know, if he is in treatment, and is clean, that the family will be there to support him in every way, but as long as he is using, he is not welcome in your lives in any way, and is in fact, dead to you.

You see why it's so difficult for a parent to take this route, and follow through with it.

P.S. Watch the A&E show Intervention, your family is not alone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">