• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need some info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sweetjosesgurl

What is the name of your state? Maine, but my friend is in Allen Wood F.C.I. Med in PA

I need to find out how to file a hibeaus corpus for my friend. If anyone can help please let me know.

thank you. My name is Jenn

The Occultist

More details, please.

One of the first details I'd like to know is whether or not you have any idea what you're talking about, or if you're just throwing random latin terms out there.

sweetjosesgurl

What ever. Maybe I do know what I am talking about. Did you ask that because maybe I spelled the word wrong. What eever..

thanks Mist SENIOR MEMBER!

quincy

Habeas corpus is a writ used to bring a person before the court, usually to make sure the person's detention or imprisonment is not illegal, or that the arrest wasn't illegal, although it can be used for review of the process, bail, or to question jurisdiction.

The writ would be filed in court by the person objecting to the detention or imprisonment, generally due to a legal or factual error. Habeas relief is not granted unless the petitioner can show it resulted in an actual prejudice that affected the original judgment.

The writ is handwritten and signed by the petitioner, under penalty of perjury. All grounds for habeas relief should be included. Additional pages are not permitted, however. There is a minor fee to file the writ, and there are generally costs involved in acquiring transcripts, counsel, etc. It would be wise to have your incarcerated friend consult with an attorney.

Last edited:

The Occultist

What ever. Maybe I do know what I am talking about. Did you ask that because maybe I spelled the word wrong. What eever..

Ah, no, I usually don't point out spelling errors. I just wanted to know if such a writ is indeed what you needed, or if, as quite a few people tend to do, you were simply throwing random latin words out there and you actually need info on something else, that also happens to be latin. :D

sweetjosesgurl

Well Thanks everyone, I did know what i was talking about. My friend whom is locked up wants me to talk to the D.A. involved in his case about that. He wants to know how about doing it from PA, in Portland Maine.

I was hoping to get more info. before I had spoken to someone about it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Unless you are an attorney the DA will not talk to you about your friend's case. And no will the court. It is illegal. But then again I bet you knew that didn't you?:rolleyes:

VeronicaLodge

well this post wont give you any credibility. the person just wanted to know more facts to see if habeas corpus was even what you needed in this situation, attacking someone trying to give you free help is probably not the best way to get help.

mike_lee

Ah, no, I usually don't point out spelling errors. I just wanted to know if such a writ is indeed what you needed, or if, as quite a few people tend to do, you were simply throwing random latin words out there and you actually need info on something else, that also happens to be latin. :D
Please refresh my memory, what's the non Latin term for a writ of Habeas corpus?

The Occultist

Are you asking for its legal definition? 'Cause I'm not going to waste my time with something Google can help you with.

Are you asking for a direct translation? That's also a waste of time for it's completely irrelevant.

Basically, you're just wasting my time. :D

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">