• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

nj law got arrested last night for many things

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

matthewbutl33

new jersey
i got arrested last night with the possession of a flask of tequila as well as a gram of pot because we were smoking it in my car as well as a butterfly knife and 2 other knives. as well as my bong and a bowl piece.
i am being charged for having an open bottle in the car as well as having pot on me. i am also being potently charged for smoking out of the bong and a dui. but i am not quite sure yet. what should i do besides getting a lawyer? also my friend had gotten arrested as well and he has other charges against him but they never read him his rights so could he then get the case wavered because his rights were never reads to him. also both me and him are 17.
i need some help to wonder how i should handle this i am going to plea not guilty but what would be the lesser charge because i want to keep my license at all costs.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Q: what should i do besides getting a lawyer?

A: Check into a rehab center as soon as you finish reading this post.

Standard answer

Here are some hints on appearing in court:

Dress professionally in clean clothes.

Do not wear message shirts.

Don't chew gum, smoke, or eat. (Smokers...pot or tobacco...literally stink. Remember that before you head for court.)

Bathe and wash your hair.

Do not bring small children or your friends.

Go to court beforehand some day before you actually have to go to watch how things go.

Speak politely and deferentially. If you argue or dispute something, do it professionally and without emotion.

Ask the court clerk who you talk to about a diversion (meaning you want to plead to a different, lesser charge), if applicable in your situation. Ask about traffic school and that the ticket not go on your record, if applicable. Ask also about getting a hardship driving permit, if applicable. Ask about drug court, if applicable.

From marbol:

“Judge...

You forgot the one thing that I've seen that seems to frizz up most judges these days:

If you have a cell phone, make DAMN SURE that it doesn't make ANY noise in the courtroom. This means when you are talking to the judge AND when you are simply sitting in the court room.

If you have a ‘vibrate’ position on your cell phone, MAKE sure the judge DOESN'T EVEN HEAR IT VIBRATE!

Turn it off or put it in silent mode where it flashes a LED if it rings. AND DON'T even DREAM about answering it if it rings.”

(Better yet, don’t carry your cell phone into the courtroom.)”

Here are seven stories that criminal court judges hear the most (and I suggest you do not use them or variations of them):

1. I’ve been saved! (This is not religion specific; folks from all kinds of religious backgrounds use this one.)

2. My girlfriend/mother/sister/daughter/wife/ex-wife/niece/grandma/grand-daughter is pregnant/sick/dying/dead/crippled/crazy and needs my help.

3. I’ve got a job/military posting in [name a place five hundred miles away].

4. This is the first time I ever did this. (This conflicts with number 5 below, but that hasn’t stopped some defendants from using both.)

5. You’ve got the wrong guy. (A variation of this one is the phantom defendant story: “It wasn’t me driving, it was a hitchhiker I picked up. He wrecked the car, drug me behind the wheel then took off.” Or, another variation: “I was forced into it by a bad guy!”)

6. I was influenced by a bad crowd.

7. I/my kid/my whatever has surgery scheduled.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=854687#post854687

Public defender’s advice

http://newyork.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/70300494.html

Other people may give you other advice; stand by.

xylene

A: Check into a rehab center as soon as you finish reading this post.
Because god knows there isn't a heroin addict who desperately needs that bed.

But seriously - fingering a nice Cold Steel balisong can get you totally strung out. ;)

ceara19

new jersey
i got arrested last night with the possession of a flask of tequila as well as a gram of pot because we were smoking it in my car as well as a butterfly knife and 2 other knives. as well as my bong and a bowl piece.
i am being charged for having an open bottle in the car as well as having pot on me. i am also being potently charged for smoking out of the bong and a dui. but i am not quite sure yet. what should i do besides getting a lawyer? also my friend had gotten arrested as well and he has other charges against him but they never read him his rights so could he then get the case wavered because his rights were never reads to him. also both me and him are 17.
i need some help to wonder how i should handle this i am going to plea not guilty but what would be the lesser charge because i want to keep my license at all costs.
You need to go ahead and start planning a farewell party for your driver's license. Any plea offered to you is going to include license suspension. Your friend is not going to get off on a technicality either. Police are only required to Mirandize a suspect after they are taken into custody AND before they question them. Since you were caught red-handed, there really was no reason to try and get either of you to confess.

matthewbutl33

thank you

im screwed arnt i...well thank you for the advice from you all im going to call my lawyer and he will hopefully get me off with the least charge possible...as well as pulling all the court strings that i know of. thank you again for your professionalism and time to have responded it is apreacheated greatly and have a nice night
sincerly,
Matthew

ebed125

Since you are only 17, I imagine that your case will be heard in family court. They tend to give you a second chance, especially if this is your first time in court. Your lawyer can work out a deal with the cops where some charges are dropped, you plead guilty to some other charge, and the hearing officer gives you a period of adjustment for 6 months or so. Then you have a clean record if you stay out of trouble. And yeah, rehab might not be such a bad idea. You can do outpatient counseling. Drinking, smoking and driving are not good things, especially when you're such a new driver.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">