• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure what happened?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

delinquentvamp

What is the name of your state? CO
Me and some friends were hanging out after curfew smoking a pipe and somebody called the cops because we were being loud or whatever. When they found us I tossed the pipe and ran like hell but was caught eventually. Another of my friends who wasn't caught managed to retrieve the pipe before the police found it. AT NO POINT did the police physically catch me with any pot or paraphernalia. AT NO POINT was I read my rights. I am a minor of 17 years with less then a month to go before I turn 18. I was charged with 6-4-16 Resist, 6-3-2 Curfew, and 6-4-34 Possesion of Cannabis. What do these charges mean? Is their anything I can do about them?

The Occultist

Resisting arrest is a crime. You ran from the officer, so you were cited for it. Odds are you cannot beat this ticket.

Breaking curfew is a crime. You are a minor, and you were out past curfew, so you were cited for it. Odds are you cannot beat this ticket.

The possession of marijuana is going to be a little more tricky. If the officer was only called out because you were being loud, then he had no reason to assume you were in possession to begin with. You must have done something to tip him off. You might be able to beat this, but we don't know all the details.

delinquentvamp

They did see me smoking something but they have no proof it was pot... but they did ask me and because I had never before been in this situation I answered truthfully. However they did not read me my rights before doing so. Does that matter? Also are any of those charges a felony?

racer72

delinquentvamp said:
They did see me smoking something but they have no proof it was pot... but they did ask me and because I had never before been in this situation I answered truthfully. However they did not read me my rights before doing so. Does that matter? Also are any of those charges a felony?
You watch too much TV. Miranda rights are only required after you are arrested and prior to questioning. The police can question you all they want prior to placing you under arrest. I would suggest you and your parents talk to an attorney if you want to fight any of the charges, your lack of knowledge of the law is quite apparent.

delinquentvamp

It was after I was arrested... duh. Your lack of common sense is quite apparent. If I knew anything about the law I wouldn't be on this site asking... people these days....

CdwJava

delinquentvamp said:
They saw you smoking and when they caught you, you wreaked of marijuana.

You may not realize it, but to those of us who do not smoke it, that stuff wreaks to high heaven.

The combination of his observation, your flight, and the odor on your person is likely sufficient to charge for the possession offense.

- Carl

CdwJava

delinquentvamp said:
It was after I was arrested... duh. Your lack of common sense is quite apparent. If I knew anything about the law I wouldn't be on this site asking... people these days....
Nice 'tude, kid.

Miranda is only required AFTER arrest and during interrogation. Any statements you made in violation of Miranda can be suppressed in court if they are used against you in some way. Since it does not sound like they need any statements (unless you confessed to smoking dope after arrest), it is likely not an issue.

They call it "dope" for a reason.

- Carl

delinquentvamp

Is it just me or does everyone on this site think that because they aren't breaking any laws that makes them better then those who do. And why, I wonder, do they call it dope... Please, since you have probably never smoked any, enlighten us...

CdwJava

delinquentvamp said:
Is it just me or does everyone on this site think that because they aren't breaking any laws that makes them better then those who do.
I suppose it depends on what you mean by "better". Some of us make a conscious decision to obey the law - others do not. Those of us that obey the law are usually not all that sympathetic to those who openly choose to disobey it.

And why, I wonder, do they call it dope... Please, since you have probably never smoked any, enlighten us...
You have no idea if I have ever smoked it or not ... and I ain't gonna tell you. But if you'd care to do the research for yourself (on other than the pro-drug use web sites sites) you will discover the risks and dangers of marijuana use.

One does not have to use a drug to know it is bad for you. I have never tried heroin, and I know it is bad for me ... same with cocaine, meth, PCP, etc. The lack of use simply disqualifies one of speaking firsthand of it's effects on a person's perceptions, feelings and emotions - it does not disqualify them from speaking on the actual (medical, psychological, or side-effects) effects of the drug.

- Carl

Echo1

Sweetie, if you want to know why they call it 'dope' go back and read your post and look at your life. You're a lying, drug abusing, law breaking, irresponsible minor who runs from the police. You're the poster child for "dope" .

Grow up, and pay the price for being a screw up. Until you do, this is just the beginning of many up close and personal relationships between you and the authorities.

If you were MY son? You'd stand alone like a man, face the music for your crime and pay the price. That'd be the best thing your parents could do for you.

delinquentvamp

gee

All you old people must have been dull as kids. I'll agree to law breaking and irresponsible minor but I don't lie or abuse drugs. Besides whats wrong with breaking the law, but you won't believe me no matter what I say...right? Most of you are too buttoned down to accept any new information. I don't blame you or anything but while you guys are watching racing and the travel channel i'm gonna go out and experience all that life has to offer, and laws aren't gonna stop me, just hinder and annoy me a little.

CdwJava

delinquentvamp said:
All you old people must have been dull as kids.
Hardly.

If you think sitting around smoking the whacky weed and running from the cops is exciting, then your life must be incredibly dull ... or you lack imagination.

Oh, and I have news for you - they were doing that even before *I* was born.

I'll agree to law breaking and irresponsible minor but I don't lie or abuse drugs.
So, you confessed to having the pot and paraphernalia then? :confused:

And using ANY drugs not prescribed to you is "abusing" them.

Besides whats wrong with breaking the law, but you won't believe me no matter what I say...right?
What's wrong with breakin the law? Are you serious?

So, you would be all right with someone coming up and stealing your Gameboy and popping you in the nose? Heck, it's only breaking the law, right? :rolleyes:

Most of you are too buttoned down to accept any new information.
You haven't provided any "new information". You simply opined that no one SAW you smoking pot so you were surprised that you could be charged with a crime.

What "new information" are you presenting to us? About what?

I don't blame you or anything but while you guys are watching racing and the travel channel i'm gonna go out and experience all that life has to offer, and laws aren't gonna stop me, just hinder and annoy me a little.
Have fun in prison.

Meanwhile those of us with means (and not forced to take a bus or live on welfare) will enjoy life just fine. Following the law, working for a living, and earning a decent wage to support one's family is just fine by me, thanks.

- Carl

Crazed98

Haha I forgot how funny this site could be.

But Java is right and there is not much you can do besides getting a lawyer and hope that they can reduce some of the penalties.

CdwJava

It's all about growing and maturing. With any luck, Vamp will mature and grow up before their life is torpedoed and swirling around the porcelain bowl.

But, live and learn ... hopefully Vamp has the brains to actually "learn" before it is too late. Age and wisdom DO have their place in life.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">