• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notice To Appear

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nickwwepin

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

The other day, the police knocked at my door. I answered, and they asked if I was "Nick ....", I said yes and they handed me a notice to appear in court on a set date in October.

This notice is reguarding an incident me and my uncle had a few months ago, in which he went to jail, and was released a few weeks later. I really do not know whose side I need to testify on, my uncles, or the states.

I was just wondering, what are my right's when in the "hot seat"? If I refuse to answer any or all of their questions, will I be in trouble? Any advice?

Thanks so much, I truly appreciate it!

The Occultist

The only time you are not required to answer a question in court is if you feel it is SELF incriminating. Since you'll likely be answering questions about your uncle, and not yourself, you will be absolutely required to answer any and all questions honestly, and failure to comply will result in your arrest and charges of Contempt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">