• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY marijuana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anticrom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My friend was recently chrged with unlawful possesion of marijuana (under 25 grams)
The police also seized $1500 cash from him. I am not sure, but I assume they seized the cash because they found a scale. Are the police able to seize cash when such a small amount of marijuana is found? does it make a difference whether or not they found a scale? My friend works a a restaurant and can produce paycheck totalling more than $1500 in value. Also, does anybody know how much a lawyer would typically charge to take a Unlawful possesion case? thanks for your time

anticrom

I forgot to mention this was during a traffic stop. Lets assume that either the officer had the right to search the car.

The Occultist

Are the police able to seize cash when such a small amount of marijuana is found? does it make a difference whether or not they found a scale?
That much cash in conjunction with the presence of a scale could lead to trafficking charges.

Many attorneys will offer free/cheap consultations, so you should sit down with a couple (preferably ones with offices across the street from the courthouse), and see what insight they may have to offer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">