• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC Housing Application denied

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1nicefella

What is the name of your state (New York)? I am a 39 y/o male in 1997 I was charged with criminal sale of control substance in the 3rd degree (PL 110-220.39) I did the time and completed parole successfully. I changed my life around totally today I am a city employee for the past 6 years I have been working as a drug counselor prior the that I worked with the mental challenged. I even had the pleasure of having a breakfast meeting with our Mayor Bloomberg. I got married last yr and my wife lives in a NYCHA apartment I have been staying with multiple relatives and try to spend as much time with my family as possible on weekends. So we decided to add me onto her lease and pay the difference so I can settle with my family. I provided the housing complex mgr with all the documents needed. On the housing application there's a questioned asking if you have been arrested or convicted of any crime in the past 5yrs. I checked no because my offense occurred in 1997 that was 12yrs ago. Housing mgr disapproved our request due to the 1997 charge of criminal sale of a control substance in the 3rd degree. Is there anything that I can do like appeal her decision I work for a reputable institution and even they did not discriminate Civil Servant. Should I get a petition going regarding my character, caliber and integrity. I have lots of professionals on my side that can attest from ministers, doctor's and even law enforcement. Please help I'm desperate best, Mr. Tomas

Last edited:

BL

What is the name of your state (New York)? I am a 39 y/o male in 1997 I was charged with criminal sale of control substance in the 3rd degree (PL 110-220.39) I did the time and completed parole successfully. I changed my life around totally today I am a city employee for the past 6 years I have been working as a drug counselor prior the that I worked with the mental challenged. I even had the pleasure of having a breakfast meeting with our Mayor Bloomberg. I got married last yr and my wife lives in a NYCHA apartment I have been staying with multiple relatives and try to spend as much time with my family as possible on weekends. So we decided to add me onto her lease and pay the difference so I can settle with my family. I provided the housing complex mgr with all the documents needed. On the housing application there's a questioned asking if you have been arrested or convicted of any crime in the past 5yrs. I checked no because my offense occurred in 1997 that was 12yrs ago. Housing mgr disapproved our request due to the 1997 charge of criminal sale of a control substance in the 3rd degree. Is there anything that I can do like appeal her decision I work for a reputable institution and even they did not discriminate Civil Servant. Should I get a petition going regarding my character, caliber and integrity. I have lots of professionals on my side that can attest from ministers, doctor's and even law enforcement. Please help I'm desperate best, Mr. Tomas
I'm assuming you had to have a criminal background check for application purposes .

Apparently they went back farther than 5 years . Not sure why .

Contact the agency's office and speak to the higher ups .

But, yeah drug dealing history would certainly effect your application acceptance.

Those are the rules .

You won't get special treatment .The rules apply to everyone.

1nicefella

Step up, be a man and get your wife and family out of public housing. Then you don't have to worry about them.
We tried that already for 3 yrs we were paying 1,500 not including utilities and I have a son from my first wife. Living in public housing will allow us to save and make the move. As for being a man, no comment obviously we don't know much about each other if you knew the individual I was and the Man that I am today you would give me my props. But that's okay because I am content with who I am and what I've accomplished living in the projects, private house, coop does not dictate who I am. Remember "court clerk" we're all chasing the same nickle. Peace and hair grease!

You Are Guilty

While it's great you turned your life around, it's only illegal to ask about (certain) arrest/conviction records in relation to employment decisions, not housing. Google Article 15 of the NY Executive Law (s. 296).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">