• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Open Container - Anyone had luck fighting this ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

surfer349

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello,

I recently received a nontraffic infraction ticket for CA 36-3 "Display of open container."

I was walking with a group of friends from one house party to another in Isle Vista, Santa Barbara County over Halloween and most everyone was carrying beers. Mine was empty, but an on-foot officer stopped the whole group and issued everyone tickets for open containers.

So, has anyone had any success in fighting these? I know with traffic tickets, you can delay court dates and do "trial by mail" basically allowing one to plead not guilty through letters, with out having to go to a court, eventually trying to get it all thrown out. There's also ways to ask for "evidence discovery" or statements from the officer, otherwise the ticket gets thrown out.

Is there any way to do something similar with a non-traffic ticket? Has anyone else had any stories or experience in this situation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">