• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Options?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SamanthTD80

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA
I have a court date coming up (in WA) for two misdemeanor charges, possession of marijuana < 40 grams and paraphernalia (pipe). I went to the arraignment and pled not guilty and obtained a public defender, which I have not heard from personally yet, only sent in a statement. My question is this: I was never taken to jail, I was only issued the citation. I have no other prior arrests and have never been in trouble before. I'm hoping to plea this down because my job is one in which I absolutely cannot have these charges on my record. I made a silly mistake and realize I was wrong. Will the judge likely grant a bond forfeiture or stipulated order of continuance? What is the best case scenario for me to have this reduced down to something NON DRUG related? I could pass a drug test right now. I have no problem paying restitution, I just cannot have any criminal record. Please help! What are my options!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

I have a court date coming up (in WA) for two misdemeanor charges, possession of marijuana < 40 grams and paraphernalia (pipe). I went to the arraignment and pled not guilty and obtained a public defender, which I have not heard from personally yet, only sent in a statement. My question is this: I was never taken to jail, I was only issued the citation. I have no other prior arrests and have never been in trouble before. I'm hoping to plea this down because my job is one in which I absolutely cannot have these charges on my record. I made a silly mistake and realize I was wrong. Will the judge likely grant a bond forfeiture or stipulated order of continuance? What is the best case scenario for me to have this reduced down to something NON DRUG related? I could pass a drug test right now. I have no problem paying restitution, I just cannot have any criminal record. Please help! What are my options!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

**A: one option is that you could move to Canada and use a French surname.

j_illinois

Is there any way at all that you can hire a private attorney?

I don't mean to insult WA public defenders; I don't know anything about them. But you said you hadn't heard from yours yet. You stand a much better chance of getting the charges reduced, or even an acquittal, if your attorney can spend quality time on your case.

Do you have the money for an attorney, or can you borrow it from friends and family? It could be as little as $500, and it might make all the difference in the world.

You might also consider pro-bono counsel.

advocate01

**A: one option is that you could move to Canada and use a French surname.
soooooo the Senior Members talk negatively about some of the posts/questions that people have and make some members feel inferior and ridiculed....YET they answer posts like this????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: why waste the time responding to a post if your not going to give SOME kind of relavent information??

BUT yes I agree you need to get a private attorney. The results are MUCH more likely to go in your favor with a private attorney than with a public defender. Even if it is somewhat expensive (I don't know what you consider expensive) but the money will be well worth it if there is a chance to keep a drug charge off your record. And not only for this job you have now but for the long run....

MoneyShot

I have a court date coming up (in WA) for two misdemeanor charges, possession of marijuana < 40 grams and paraphernalia (pipe).

I made a silly mistake and realize I was wrong.

...I just cannot have any criminal record.
A "silly mistake" is showing up in a costume at a formal event. What you did was commit a criminal act - and you knew it before you ever took posession of the material.

If you cannot have a criminal record, the don't commit criminal acts - seems simple enough.

In the meantime, consider a new career in the food service industry. Or get an attorney - a really good (and probably expensive) one.

j_illinois

A "silly mistake" is showing up in a costume at a formal event. What you did was commit a criminal act - and you knew it before you ever took posession of the material.

If you cannot have a criminal record, the don't commit criminal acts - seems simple enough.

In the meantime, consider a new career in the food service industry. Or get an attorney - a really good (and probably expensive) one.
Rather shameful behavior, MoneyShot. You go out of your way to visit a forum about criminal defense, then proceed to insult participants for being criminal defendants.

If it is your opinion that anyone facing a drug charge should "consider a new career in the food service industry," then perhaps you should become a food service manager and recruit such people, rather than insult them on this site.

Indiana Filer

BUT yes I agree you need to get a private attorney. The results are MUCH more likely to go in your favor with a private attorney than with a public defender. ..
Generalize much? Do you have any experience at all on which to base your opinions, or do you just make things up as you go along?

RRevak

The seniors might flog me for this but this response was so amusing it brought a tear to my eye :D
So true....so true..

(consider yourself quoted LOL)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">