• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Own Recognizance Release for <1oz HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tabasco99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Vt but this happened in Las Vegas Nevada.

I was in a jail cell for 13 hours for having 2 joints on me. I was released on "own recognizance". I am back in VT now since I was just on vacation in Las Vegas. My question is, can I just pay a bail amount to avoid the court date? I cant afford another plane ticket out to NV and back with hotel and all of that. Should I get a lawyer? I don't have much money for a lawyer or a plane ticket. What can I do? I have never been in trouble before this is my first time getting arrested or in trouble for anything.

Possession of less than 1oz. in NV is a misdemeanor punishable (first offense) by sentencing to drug rehab and up to $600.

I would advise consulting with a NV attorney to discuss your situation and see if you have any room to maneuver.

Bail does not get you out of your court date--if fact, them having your bail is the incentive for you to return for your court date. In this case, they apparently assumed you would come back without requiring bail.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">