• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pain management drug testing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Helpmeplease27

I don't know how my message didn't go through...

I recently joined pain management for treatment outside of medicine as everything I've tried has made me sick. I use marijuana as it is the only thing that helps my pain without bad side effects. The doctors have never suggested trying medicinal marijuana despite knowing that the pill medications make me sick and I've been afraid to bring it up. I was wondering if they will drug test me seeing how I'm not there to take pills, whether or not I'll be tested for THC if they do, and if I'll be kicked out of pain management when testing positive for it. I reside in NY if that makes a difference.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Why are you worried about being kicked out of pain management? You seem to have your pain issue solved.

quincy

I recently joined pain management for treatment outside of medicine as everything I've tried has made me sick. I use marijuana as it is the only thing that helps my pain without bad side effects. The doctors have never suggested trying medicinal marijuana despite knowing that the pill medications make me sick and I've been afraid to bring it up. I was wondering if they will drug test me seeing how I'm not there to take pills, whether or not I'll be tested for THC if they do, and if I'll be kicked out of pain management when testing positive for it. I reside in NY if that makes a difference.
There is no way any of us can tell you if you will be drug tested or if you will be kicked out of "pain management" (is this a clinic?) for using an illegal drug.

It is not smart for you to use drugs that are not prescribed and it is not smart for you to not inform those treating you of what drugs you are using.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't want to be stoned all the time. It would be nice to be able to have a normal life again.
Then explain to the pain management center that you have been using medical marijuana for the treatment of pain, but that you are stopping because you don't like being stoned all the time, which is also why you are seeking their help. I'm sure they've dealt with such a situation before. They will be able to tell if you are continuing to use marijuana after starting their program.

Looking back at your OP, what does "...pain management for treatment outside of medicine..." mean?

HighwayMan

I'm guessing it's outside of traditional medical facilities, or maybe "alternative" approaches to the issue.

Helpmeplease27

The problem is that I can't stop unless they find a different way to help me and I'm worried that they'll say "too bad" even if I explain.

The last time (only time) I was there they gave me a shot where the pain is and it was supposed to help but it didn't. It's hard, they're so backed up that this was a month ago already. I was supposed to have been drug tested that day but I had unknowingly went to the bathroom beforehand and they were so swamped that they forgot to do it after. I would have just explained everything at the time had I been drug tested, but I kind of feel like I was lucky enough to get away with it the one time. I'm thinking it might be safer to use synthetic urine instead of explaining in case they deny helping me since I haven't been able to get any straight forward answers as to NY's policies and whether or not they test people who aren't on pills.

Zigner

The problem is that I can't stop unless they find a different way to help me and I'm worried that they'll say "too bad" even if I explain.

The last time (only time) I was there they gave me a shot where the pain is and it was supposed to help but it didn't. It's hard, they're so backed up that this was a month ago already. I was supposed to have been drug tested that day but I had unknowingly went to the bathroom beforehand and they were so swamped that they forgot to do it after. I would have just explained everything at the time had I been drug tested, but I kind of feel like I was lucky enough to get away with it the one time. I'm thinking it might be safer to use synthetic urine instead of explaining in case they deny helping me since I haven't been able to get any straight forward answers as to NY's policies and whether or not they test people who aren't on pills.
It's always better to lie and cheat than to be open and honest.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

TALK TO THEM!

quincy

Do you have one of the qualifying conditions for medical marijuana use in New York?

Is this a pain clinic you are going to? If it is, and if you want help with your pain, be honest with your treatment center about what you are using currently to treat the pain. You should not mess around with fake urine.

Here is a link to information on New York's marijuana laws and medical marijuana laws:
http://norml.org/laws/item/new-york-penalties-2
http://norml.org/legal/item/new-york-medical-marijuana-law

Helpmeplease27

Thank you both for the help, I'll do as suggested and hope they don't refuse helping me after. Unfortunately NY doesn't cover my problem with medicinal marijuana. I guess they enjoy the money from the pills too much to add it.

quincy

Thank you both for the help, I'll do as suggested and hope they don't refuse helping me after. Unfortunately NY doesn't cover my problem with medicinal marijuana. I guess they enjoy the money from the pills too much to add it.
When you are being open and honest with the pain clinic (if this IS a pain clinic ... you never said), don't have any marijuana with you. There are penalties for possessing marijuana and, depending on the amount carried, possessing marijuana is a criminal offense.

Good luck in treating your pain.

Last edited:

Zigner

Couldn't most pain be covered under the blanket of "neuropathies"...

(I'm not asking you to tell us what you are diagnosed with...I was just making an observation.)

HighwayMan

Unfortunately NY doesn't cover my problem with medicinal marijuana.

You implied earlier that you do not want to use the marijuana because you don't want to be "stoned" all the time. So which is it?

And why is a pain center (or whatever it's called) drug testing you? What is the purpose of that?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">