• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paraphenelia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ozmosified

What is the name of your state? Fargo, ND

My Roommates and i held a party last night, the cops were called and the party got broken up. They told everyone to leave and asked if they could make sure everyone was out of the house. We let them in and when they got to my room they asked whose it was and if they could look in. Being drunk and all about cooperation i let them, as the officer put it "make sure it's noted that Sam's room smells heavily of marijuana," they found a bong and two pipes. No weed just the pipes. Me and my roommate got a minor for consumption of alcohol and they took the paraphenelia but didn't say anything about it. Can i get in trouble for that even though they didn't say anything about it last night?

Ozmosified

first time

i mean this is the first time i've been in trouble and i have a court date for the minor this week. If they bring this up in court can i say that this is irrelevant to my case because the only thing i was charged with was minor consumption? And if i do that, can they charge me with pariphanelia later? I really don't have the money for a lawyer or the steep fine i've been noticing for possesion of pariphanelia, i'm a poor college student. any incite will be appreciated. Currently all for quitting smoking.

Raptoer

They could sit on the marijuana case for at least a year without charging you. If it does come up you might be able to argue that you were not in a fit state of mind to give consent to search your room.

As for them bringing it up in your alcohol case, I doubt it will really affect it.

If you need a lawyer, one will be appointed by the court.

Last edited:

Ozmosified

Thanks

Thanks for your help. If they sit on it for a year, what's the worst case scenerio? i mean can they incarcerate me for a couple of pipes but not pot?

Raptoer

from www.legis.nd.gov

http://www.legis.nd.gov/cencode/t19c034.pdf said:
19-03.4-03. Unlawful possession of drug paraphernalia - Penalty. A person may not use or possess with intent to use drug paraphernalia to plant, propagate, cultivate, grow, harvest, manufacture, compound, convert, produce, process, prepare, test, analyze, pack, repack, store, contain, conceal, inject, ingest, inhale, or otherwise introduce into the human body a controlled substance in violation of chapter 19-03.1. Any person violating this section is guilty of a class C felony if the drug paraphernalia is used, or possessed with intent to be used, to manufacture, compound, convert, produce, process, prepare, test, inject, ingest, inhale, or analyze a controlled substance, other than marijuana, classified in schedule I, II, or III of chapter 19-03.1. Otherwise, a violation of this section is a class A misdemeanor.

http://www.legis.nd.gov/cencode/t121c32.pdf said:
Class A misdemeanor, for which a maximum penalty of one year's imprisonment, a
fine of two thousand dollars, or both, may be imposed.
I doubt you will get the maximum penalty, however other than that I do not know.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">