• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paraphernelia found in trunk?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rmrdr716

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MASSACHUSETTES
Hey everyone, the other day i was pulled over because i had just bought a new car and put the plates from my old car on it. i no it was wrong but was planning on getting the reg. switched over the next day. So anyways the cops pulls me over takes my bill of sale, old title. tells me to get out of the car. they talk to me and tell me that my car is going to get towed and since i lived literally 300 yards from that point, told me to walk home and call the tow yard tomorrow. So i wasnt all too upset, i took the risk and thats what happens. well the car was in the tow yard and the cops put a hold on it and said i couldnt take it out till i got proof of new registration. well i did all that and went to get my car out to see that my car was trashed. obviously the cops searched it and i didnt think that it was too big of a deal. well come to find out that they went through my trunk and found a pipe used for marijuana. From my understanding, cops could not go through someones trunk without probable cause? they found nothing else in my car except for that marijuana pipe. I also came to find out that they opened a piece of mail that i was sending to someone. So it wasnt my mail but the persons that i was shipping it too. is this legal? im kind of angry because i got a letter in the mail saying that im getting charged with many offences including possession of illegal drugs. if anyone could tell me if any ofthis was done illegally it would be of great help. thanks

FlyingRon

It is routine and justifiable to inventory the contents of impounded vehicles. You'll have a hard time fighting this one, but you can try talking to a lawyer to see if he can see some holes in the process.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MASSACHUSETTES
Hey everyone, the other day i was pulled over because i had just bought a new car and put the plates from my old car on it. i no it was wrong but was planning on getting the reg. switched over the next day. So anyways the cops pulls me over takes my bill of sale, old title. tells me to get out of the car. they talk to me and tell me that my car is going to get towed and since i lived literally 300 yards from that point, told me to walk home and call the tow yard tomorrow. So i wasnt all too upset, i took the risk and thats what happens. well the car was in the tow yard and the cops put a hold on it and said i couldnt take it out till i got proof of new registration. well i did all that and went to get my car out to see that my car was trashed. obviously the cops searched it and i didnt think that it was too big of a deal. well come to find out that they went through my trunk and found a pipe used for marijuana. From my understanding, cops could not go through someones trunk without probable cause? they found nothing else in my car except for that marijuana pipe. I also came to find out that they opened a piece of mail that i was sending to someone. So it wasnt my mail but the persons that i was shipping it too. is this legal? im kind of angry because i got a letter in the mail saying that im getting charged with many offences including possession of illegal drugs. if anyone could tell me if any ofthis was done illegally it would be of great help. thanks
**A: it is illegal...to spell the name of your state incorrectly. And also words in your post.

If you can get legal help...freind, relitive.
Take lots of pictures.
The correct thing is to file a complaint for theaft and damage throught the police against the tow yard that towed it. If the police refuse to take the report or act on it - Nail them!
If they do act, you will get all the info that you need from the tow driver....

What they did was wrong!
Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">