• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parked car searched, found mdma, rightful owner didnt speak up.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nuckingfub

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington state:

Was at a campsite with 2 friends, when we were rudely awakened by a ranger. Long story short, he was searching my car, and in the trunk found a baggie with ~1 gram of mdma. The person who owned it didn't speak up, so on the ticket I got charged with the possession. After the ranger left, my friend said he would admit to it in court. Is this possible? Do I bring him with me to court when I go?

justalayman

You can try. Will they believe him? Who knows.

btw: that doesn't mean your charge will be altered. It was your car. You had control of it. You had constructive possession.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington state:

Was at a campsite with 2 friends, when we were rudely awakened by a ranger.
Didn't bring you breakfast? :cool:

nuckingfub said:
Long story short, he was searching my car, and in the trunk found a baggie with ~1 gram of mdma. The person who owned it didn't speak up, so on the ticket I got charged with the possession. After the ranger left, my friend said he would admit to it in court. Is this possible? Do I bring him with me to court when I go?
You can try. But it's your car, which equals your possession. It's up to you to prove your story to the judge.

But your "friend" didn't even have the gumption to stand up to a Rude Ranger: how do you think he'll do in a real court of law, with real penalties?

TigerD

Why was a ranger searching your at the campsite?
Why were you "rudely awakened"?

You need to lengthen your story some. There is more to it and the stuff you left out is very relevant.

But to save a lot of time, you need a lawyer. You are facing some pretty serious consequences.

DC

nuckingfub

well there was a pipe laying on my seat,which he must have seen walking by my car, that i admitted to. I guess that gave him probable cause to search my car, (which he did without asking me) where he found crumbs of marijuana in a baggie, that i also admitted to. the only other thing found was the mdma. The other 2 friends I was with, also got charged. The kid who owned the mdma had a few pipes in his bag, and the other had ~ounce of MJ in his bag. Apparently the ranger there was investigating gun-shots that were heard earlier in the day. Any time someone awakens me from sleeping, its rude :(

Silverplum

well there was a pipe laying on my seat,which he must have seen walking by my car, that i admitted to. I guess that gave him probable cause to search my car, (which he did without asking me) where he found crumbs of marijuana in a baggie, that i also admitted to. the only other thing found was the mdma. The other 2 friends I was with, also got charged. The kid who owned the mdma had a few pipes in his bag, and the other had ~ounce of MJ in his bag.
Interesting.

Is there yet more to the story?

nuckingfub

No that's about it. He said he was there investigating gun shots, walked past my car to wake us up. I admitted to owning the car, he asked me where the "dope" was. I said there was none in the car (honestly didnt know about the mdma in the back) he sat me down, asked me where my license was, i said it was in the glove box. He then opens my car and glove box (without asking) finds my id, and also find the crumbs of marijuana. Searches the rest of my car, eventually finds the mdma. I said it wasn't mine.

He then searched all of our bags, where he finds one of my friends' paraphernalia, and then finds the other friends' MJ. Writes us tickets, and leaves.

justalayman

the search, at least as you present it, is questionable. Of course, we are getting the "I want to get out of the charges: light version". The cop's version will almost assuredly be different. Your friend copping to ownership may be of no benefit and could actually result in the both of you being charged.

get a lawyer.

CdwJava

You got a TICKET? For possession of Ecstasy? That's a class C felony?!?! You should have been hauled off to jail!

Something doesn't sound right ... Either that, or the officer fouled up. I may not be from WA, but I doubt that even in WA they are permitted to issue a citation for a felony.

Silverplum

You got a TICKET? For possession of Ecstasy? That's a class C felony?!?! You should have been hauled off to jail!

Something doesn't sound right ... Either that, or the officer fouled up. I may not be from WA, but I doubt that even in WA they are permitted to issue a citation for a felony.
Not an officer. A Rude Ranger. ;)

OHRoadwarrior

Not an officer. A Rude Ranger. ;)
Isn't he the Lone Ranger's second cousin? OP, can I constructively suggest you not commit Federal crimes in the future? It sounds like he was a Fed, anyway. So your claim is that it all belongs the medical MJ card holder? Next time tell him to keep his "****" outta yer car, the story won't fly.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Isn't he the Lone Ranger's second cousin? OP, can I constructively suggest you not commit Federal crimes in the future? It sounds like he was a Fed, anyway. So your claim is that it all belongs the medical MJ card holder? Next time tell him to keep his "****" outta yer car, the story won't fly.
Marijuana for personal recreational use is legal in Washington State. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">