• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PCS result

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eliteb43

What is the name of your state? TX.

I posted my story a few months ago, but i figured it might be helpful to somebody in a similar situation if I posted the outcome of my case.

I was arrested for possession of prescription medication. I was driving my father's truck when I got into a car accident. After searching the truck, the police found three bottles of my father's prescription pills. 120 hydrocodone pills, 120 soma, and 15 xanax. These are all legally prescribed to my father, however, the labels were ripped off the bottles. I was charged with a 3rd degree felony possession of a controlled substance. Although my lawyer provided the District Attorney with an advidavit signed by my father stating the pills belonged to him and that I had no knowledge that they were in the vehicle, the court refused to dismiss my case. After numerous resets, and 70 days of incarceration, i recieved my first offers... either 6 months of state jail or 4 years deferred probation. I didn't like either offer, so i fired my lawyer and hired a new lawyer. One week later, at my next court apperance, my new lawyer talked the District Attorney into dropping the felony charge to a Class A Misdemenor and sentenced me to 110 days in county jail. Due to the overcrowding issues in the county jail, you are given a two for one deal as well.. which means i would just have to serve 55 days. Since I served 70 days, I was released from jail that night. I'm content with my outcome. Most importantly because i don't have a felony on my record. But it's kind of terrifying that the court system would offer a sentence of felony state jail of 6 months, and then just ONE week later, offer a misdemenor and 110 days in county jail.. well, half that.. 55 days. It makes you wonder how many people with larger sentences could have knocked a few years off their time if they would've just held out a little longer. Lost all trust in the court system.

fairisfair

yeah, me too. They should have kept you locked up for far longer than that.

I just pray that you are not back on the forum in a year or so, having killed someone while driving under the influence of narcotics.

I don't believe that you didn't know the pills were in the vehicle, it is far more likely that your father is the one who had no idea where they were.
Just MHO of course.

eliteb43

yeah, me too. They should have kept you locked up for far longer than that.

I just pray that you are not back on the forum in a year or so, having killed someone while driving under the influence of narcotics.

I don't believe that you didn't know the pills were in the vehicle, it is far more likely that your father is the one who had no idea where they were.
Just MHO of course.

I think the whole idea of this site is for people to read cases that may pertain to them, but also learn from the results. I'm sure the majority of users simply want advice and seldom come back when their case is over to offer the final verdict. As for my case, Maybe I am lucky. The only thing that I'm am certain about is that you DON'T know me, so I'll forgive you for your judgement. But since this is freeadvice.com.. I'll offer you some free advice... if you're bored, read a book. And judging from your response.. it might actually do you some good.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">