• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pending drug charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blakely1125

What is the name of your state? idaho
i was in my friends car who was being watched by the police in my town and i might have been watched too, but they pulled us over in his car with five pounds of pot. the cops wanted my help to find someone else dealing and i gave them someone who had six pounds. so i helped the cops and did what they wanted, my lawyer has not told me anything and this whole thing happened eight months ago. the detective told me two weeks ago i would be getting a offer from the prosecutors office. my question is do i have any statutes of limitations and after helping the cops what charges am i looking at?

JETX

my question is do i have any statutes of limitations
Yes. The state has a specific amount of time (often one to two years) to file a criminal charge against you. It depends on the actual charge being considered.

and after helping the cops what charges am i looking at?
Based solely on your post, I would assume you will be charged with possession and likely with intent to distribute.

blakely1125

So say the prosecutor offers a charge like possession with intent to distribute is there any likely hood of me pleading down the charges to a lesser charge. what options are out there for alternative sentencing on drug crimes can i do anything else other than jail or prison.

JETX

So say the prosecutor offers a charge like possession with intent to distribute is there any likely hood of me pleading down the charges to a lesser charge.
A good attorney might be able to plea down your charges (depending on what the actual charges are). Very likely that you couldn't do so.

what options are out there for alternative sentencing on drug crimes can i do anything else other than jail or prison.
Get an attorney.

onelimited

What is the name of your state? idaho
i was in my friends car who was being watched by the police in my town and i might have been watched too, but they pulled us over in his car with five pounds of pot. the cops wanted my help to find someone else dealing and i gave them someone who had six pounds. so i helped the cops and did what they wanted, my lawyer has not told me anything and this whole thing happened eight months ago. the detective told me two weeks ago i would be getting a offer from the prosecutors office. my question is do i have any statutes of limitations and after helping the cops what charges am i looking at?

So whats the status on you

blakely1125

There is still no word from my lawyers or the police. What moves should I make to keep the police from furthering the case. Should I call the police? What should I be doing until this is over?

echo1313

First of all, you have no right to expect the charges to be any different just because you rolled on someone else. I don't know the time period in which they have to charge you but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to look up. As long as you haven't been charged and the courts have your correct address just wait for them to contact you. There's no reason to bring additional attention to yourself and that case. If or when your charged yoou should deffinately get an attorney. You might be able to plead to lesser charges but I don't think you're going to get out of jail time.

smutlydog

First of all, you have no right to expect the charges to be any different just because you rolled on someone else. I don't know the time period in which they have to charge you but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to look up. As long as you haven't been charged and the courts have your correct address just wait for them to contact you. There's no reason to bring additional attention to yourself and that case. If or when your charged yoou should deffinately get an attorney. You might be able to plead to lesser charges but I don't think you're going to get out of jail time.
I agree
He shouldn't do anything that might wake the wolves. It's possible that he will never be charged

blakely1125

do you actually need to go to trial to use a withheld judgement. Can you settle out of court useing it. I also heard about the no student left behind act. where if you are going to school they wont put you in jail. i guess drug court would be a way to go to. any ideas or answer let me know im on a limb.

blakely1125

i got my charges

so the state of idaho is charging me with possession of over three oz. Its a class d felony. now i want to use my withheld judgement. my question is how does the withheld work and what should i be looking to do to be prepared for all of this.

cvdesign

do you actually need to go to trial to use a withheld judgement. Can you settle out of court useing it. I also heard about the no student left behind act. where if you are going to school they wont put you in jail. i guess drug court would be a way to go to. any ideas or answer let me know im on a limb.
That's a new one on me ... even IF it does exist, it doesn't explain all the students in juvie or in prison, does it???

Our juvie system here in FL is over-crowded and underfunded ... it's used. Alot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">