• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PI/Fake ID Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melewen

I'm a 19 year old from Alabama.

I was very recently arrested for public intoxication, and the possession of an improper ID. However, the ID WAS NOT mine. It doesn't even look like me, and I did not try to use it with the cops. I carried it for a friend of mine when I was the DD when we went to a restaurant a while ago, but I haven't seen her since then. It was in the change pocket of my wallet along with old used up Starbuck's cards and a Costco gas card (we don't even HAVE a Costco where I go to school). It's just someone else's driver's license, not her altered ID. I have never tried to use it, and I never would.

I am pleading guilty for the PI, but not for the fake ID. Can anyone give me any information on this, or advice?

I really want to get the PI expunged eventually, and since MIP's and PI's are so common in my town, I hope I'll be able to. I need to have it off my record for when I apply to law school, and I'll do pretty much anything to help that.

I also have no idea what to expect or say when I go to court. Any advice? I am seriously clueless on these things; I really don't want the rest of my life screwed up because of this. I have learned quite the lesson.

racer72

melewen said:
I am seriously clueless on these things;
You're right. The problem isn't that the fake ID wasn't you, the problem is possession of any fake ID is against the law, irregardless of who it actually belongs to. I would suggest you talk to a local attorney.

Some Random Guy

the problem is possession of any fake ID is against the law
- Racer 72

It's just someone else's driver's license, not her altered ID.
-OP

I think that the Fake ID charge in this case is possession of someone else's ID rather than a forged ID card. That said, you may have a hard time proving it if you are underage and drunk and the ID was that of a person 21 and older.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">