• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pizza delivery drug charge technicality NC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

darinator

State: North Carolina

So me and my asst. manager friend decide to smoke one night after our place of work was closed. We had smoked a couple of bowls with some friends earlier, and when they left, my co-worker and I decided to pack another in the bong.

We opened the back door of the store (in a small shopping complex) and with packed bong and lighter in hand, we were greeted by a female officer with a flashlight.

Needless to say, 4 more pulled into the parking lot after she radioed to them, and we were interrogated/etc. They eventually went into the store and retrieved my glass bowl and about 3-4 grams of marijuana.

Now looking at the citations we recieved, I was charged with possession of paraphernilia and my friend was charged with possession of the pot.

But the catch is, I told the officer in excess of 3 times, that the bag was mine, and my friend never admitted ownership of the bag, however he got the pot possession charge, whereas I got a paraphernilia charge

my charge: (did knowingly possess with the intent to use drug paraphernilia to wit 90-113.22 [a])

Questions:

1) Does this go on my permanent record?
2) Can the technicality (above) be exploited in any way?
3) What can I do to lessin the charge? Are there any useful links/resources for this type of thing?

Sorry for the somewhat lengthy read. Thanks in advance.

The Occultist

Permanent record? What is this, highschool? Yes, a guilty sentence will be prominently displayed for anybody who wants to see.

Technicality? You're full of it. Possession has nothing to do with ownership. You don't have to own something to be in possession of it. TECHNICALLY, you both could have been charged with possession of both the marijuana and the paraphernalia.

First time offenders can usually work something out. Talk to the DA.

darinator

Do you deliver pot pies?????
Haha, no, I can't say that we do. It's funny you mention that, because one of the police officers asked me that too.

Technicality? You're full of it.
Um... no. I'm just new to this whole process.

Another question: Do I need a lawyer?

ENASNI

Another question: Do I need a lawyer?
Ah.. Houston.. that's a go.

Um..opps you are in North Carolina... sorry. I just had some Pizza delivered and it tasted a little odd, odd but good. I am gonna go back to it now it is reaalllllyyyyyy good... mmmm brownies sound good too.

git lawyer.

Happy Trails

In North Carolina, drug paraphernalia is punishable up to 6 months in jail and/or a fine.

However, first time offenders most likely will receive a diversion, which is a form of "deferred prosecution". Basically what that means is you will need to complete the requirements of the diversion and up on successfully doing so, the case will be dismissed.

So don't screw it up, if you do then this will appear on your criminal record.

darinator

Hey Happy Trails, thanks for the legit response.

I think I've learned a valuable life lesson from this whole ordeal...

...if possible, RUN. FLUSH. DENY.

I so could have made it to the door.

2901bruce

darinator said:
Hey Happy Trails, thanks for the legit response.

I think I've learned a valuable life lesson from this whole ordeal...

...if possible, RUN. FLUSH. DENY.

I so could have made it to the door.
Hey Darinator. Were you both "Fired" ?? And, running from the Pizza company where you work! That's ingenious.
What were you planning to do? Go on the "Lamb" ??

Last edited:

tranquility

Running from the police when they have a legal right to detain you can get you an obstruction or resisting charge on top of anything else. Now, they may have a little harder time proving this than possession of paraphenalia or marijuana, but they'll prove it. Plus, you have the fun of the police running to try to catch you. When they do catch you they already know you are a "no" person and won't ask you to put your hands behind your back for cuffing, they'll put them there themselves.

The Occultist

Both of you guys should pay attention to the last posting date of threads. Since the last post was on 6/17, odds are the OP has stopped checking on his thread.

delinquentvamp

Tranquility were you being sarcastic... anyway running from the police was fun for me... up until they tazed me, now that kinda hurt. Then I laughed caused they yelled "GET ON THE GROUND" after the pain from the tazer had me already on the ground.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">