• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plea Bargains and Court Dates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vanlanjm

What is the name of your state? OH, boyfriend charged in GA

My boyfriend was charged two years ago with a misdeamor charge of possesion of a dangerous drug in GA. He just recieved notice yesterday that he has to appear in court on the 18th, however we had already planned a trip out of the country, and our tickets are non-refunable or transferable. He has decided to enter a guilty plea, will this change whether or not he will have to appear in court on the 18th? He is going apply for a continuance however we are skeptical that he will get one. Any opinions? Thanks.

Shay-Pari'e

vanlanjm said:
What is the name of your state? OH, boyfriend charged in GA

My boyfriend was charged two years ago with a misdeamor charge of possesion of a dangerous drug in GA. He just recieved notice yesterday that he has to appear in court on the 18th, however we had already planned a trip out of the country, and our tickets are non-refunable or transferable. He has decided to enter a guilty plea, will this change whether or not he will have to appear in court on the 18th? If he doesn't have a lawyer appear for him, he needs to appear. Pleading guilty is going to get him jail time or probation.

Good luck with the looser, and sorry about your little *Get Away*.

vanlanjm

He already served 75 days in jail when he was arrested, so he will most likely get time served anyhow, that's why we are so upset about the date. He will have a lawyer also.

S

shell007

Hmmm...let's look at some of the facts again.

1. Charged with possession dangerous drug.
2. Notice to appear in court.
3. Trip planned to leave the country??????:rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

OP: Get a continuance for "THE TRIP OUT OF THE COUNTRY", NOT the court date.

weenor

Even if he has a lawyer, if this is anything other than a call docket HE will have to appear personally.

vanlanjm

Did you forget to read the part in my orginal post that says the tickets are non-refunable or transferable? Not to mention neither of us can get vacation again until the week of Christmas. It's not like he's trying to run from it, since he's planning to plead guilty. Please don't leave a post if you're not trying to help.

Shay-Pari'e

vanlanjm said:
Did you forget to read the part in my orginal post that says the tickets are non-refunable or transferable? Not to mention neither of us can get vacation again until the week of Christmas.Do you think the courts care? Perhaps if your boyfriend wasn't a criminal, you wouldn't be in this mess.
It's not like he's trying to run from it, since he's planning to plead guilty. Please don't leave a post if you're not trying to help. You asked a question, and you got the correct answer.

Joi in Arizona

Two years for a misdemeanor to make it to court?

First, I do not understand why it has taken two years for a court date for a misdemeanor. Second if you have an attorney why don't you just have him ask for a continuance. The case has waited two years what is another week or so? Also I would be sure to discuss if pleading guilty is the best thing, after two years witnesses can be hard to locate, evidence is sometimes misplaced. There are alot of things that can happen in two years.
Hope you get to go on your holiday!:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">